Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th May 2013, 06:38 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Audionote copper mylar in oil failed

Hi guys..

I just want to share my experience with Audionote copper mylar in oil caps.

I built 300B SE amp base on Audionote Quest but modificated to stereo amp instead of monoblok amp. I used Audionote caps 0.33 uF/630v copper mylar in oil (copper tube, black label not white and diameter bigger than current Audionote caps). I bought 1 pair from Partsconnexion Canada (they are a nice seller doh) about 1 years ago and just 6 months ago I finished the project and started to fire up the amp and sounds very lovely.

2 days ago I turned the amp and playing some vocal music, everything seems going ok until 2 hours during playing some slow music sudently I heard very bad distortion on my left loudspeaker and the volume seems decrease. I smelled bit burnt odour near the cathode resistor (it's very hot on that resistor). I hurry up turn off the amp, get my multimeter and checked everything until I found that the Audionote coupling cap was shorted and pass through 271vDC!!

Maybe you guys ever have experienced fail caps as I did? I've sent complaint to Audionote contact via email and haven't any reply until 2 days maybe they too busy
I questioned them about the quality control and cap durability or maybe I just unlucky hehe.....I never experience any problem with other cap I use until now (I also use Jensen copper in oil, Mundorf Silver Oil, Supreme, Dynamicaps, Jantzen Silver, etc)

For now I doubt to use Audionote cap again, maybe I will try Jensen paper tube instead buy again AN caps

cheers....
Erik

Last edited by eherdian; 29th May 2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old 30th May 2013, 03:29 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I need any opinion and share your experience please ...

thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 01:25 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Oil filled caps used to be unreliable in the old days if the seals were not perfect
Old 30th May 2013, 07:14 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsrsb View Post
Oil filled caps used to be unreliable in the old days if the seals were not perfect
but this AN mylar copper in oil is brand new design...

I haven't have any reply from AN, seems disappointing
Old 31st May 2013, 02:50 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

They had reliability problems with paper in oil before, see Audio Note oil filled mylar capacitors

I am dubious about the use of vegetable oil. This oxidises if exposed to air at all and is probably a bit batch variable
Old 31st May 2013, 11:48 AM   #6
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

VEGETABLE oil ???

Great for your salad or to cook your fries, but has no business inside a capacitor

Why didn't you use a reliable commercial capacitor such as Vishay, Epcos or similar?
Old 31st May 2013, 03:28 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I wonder if EU waste disposal and recycling regulations were the real reason for the use of vegetable oil
Old 31st May 2013, 04:39 PM   #8
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsrsb View Post
I wonder if EU waste disposal and recycling regulations were the real reason for the use of vegetable oil
mmmmmhhhh, let's put it into numbers.
Quote:
EU has 260000000 cars
(260 Million)
which require a 6 liter oil change twice a Year, so the EU has to dispose of:
3072000000 liters (3072 Million liters) which @ 0.85Kg/l weigh over 2.6 Million TONS.

I guess that compared to that, a couple spoonfuls of oil aren't significative, so I think that poorly performing vegetable oil (if it was actually used of course) was chosen for publicity/"exotic/esoteric component" commercial reasons.
Old 1st June 2013, 02:26 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

No, that's being logical. The EU frequently applies regulations in a completely unbalanced way and I could easily see them wanting a recovery plan for each capacitor.
Used engine oil is supposed to be disposed in special tanks anyway, you are not allowed to just dump it
Old 1st June 2013, 03:46 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
I would indeed bet real money they used recycled vegetable oil..........not any such "Extra Pure Olive-Oil". If the filtering process was not absolute......micro sized particles of someones long since cooked milanesas, wound up into the cap it probably was a source of shorting out.
Using organic matter in such products is silly & quite likely a marketing ploy.

__________________________________________________ _Rick........

Hide this!Advertise here!