Digital rotary encoder - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2003, 08:10 PM   #1
rho is offline rho  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Default Digital rotary encoder

Hi,

I'm putting together a pre-amp and would like to build the volume- and balance-control with a digital controlled potentiometer.
The plan is:
A digital optical encoder is used to provide an Atmel µ-controller with input. I found a nice one, named "Grayhill 62AD11-02-020C".
The Atmel in his place sends data to a PGA2311 (digital controlled analog pot).
datasheet Grayhill series62

Has anyone ever build something alike? Any tips, warnigs, alternatives?

Thanks for the input.
Old 2nd December 2003, 08:14 PM   #2
Banned

i built something like this, but because of costs with mechanical encoder and PIC instead of atmel. http://home.tu-clausthal.de/~tpa/PGA/index.html

And the Apox3 will be like this but in more complex http://www.apoxcontrols.com/apox3.htm
Old 2nd December 2003, 08:23 PM   #3
jwb is offline jwb  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to jwb
I built one with 64 steps, -80dB attenuation, and an ATmega8 micro, with a Grayhill rotary encoder. Seems very similar to your idea.

Yet another relay attenuator

Search the forums for "relay attenuator" if you want the encyclopedia.
Old 2nd December 2003, 08:30 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hey, looks nice.

One thing I'm a little unsure about is how to implement the balance control. A µ-controller has limited re-write posibilities. So what happens after several adjustments?
Old 2nd December 2003, 08:32 PM   #5
Banned

limited to 1 or some million or so ... will be enough - unless you change the setting every few minutes 24/7 ten years or so.
Old 2nd December 2003, 08:42 PM   #6
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

till,

The link to the code is broken.
Old 2nd December 2003, 08:46 PM   #7
Banned

? for me it works. Whats broken? http://home.tu-clausthal.de/~tpa/PGA/03.asm

maybe you need to dl with "safe target as" in case you browser doesn´t show the .asm file.
Old 2nd December 2003, 08:55 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by till
limited to 1 or some million or so ... will be enough - unless you change the setting every few minutes 24/7 ten years or so.

A million? OK, that would be sufficient...I hope.
That's for the E˛, right? ...a million...where did I get the idea it was limited to about 1000 times??
Old 2nd December 2003, 08:57 PM   #9
Banned

1k is a typical number for flash, 1 mil. for EEPROM. At least with the pic its nonsense to write the balance information into flash - with most PICs not possible i think.

As you see in my code, i don´t use balance (but its not the big problem to make code for this funktion), but i write the volume setting to the EEPROM, so the chip remembers when powered up next time the old volume setting. This is writen every time the user changed the volume and then leave it unchanged a moment. I did not reach the million until now...
Old 2nd December 2003, 09:07 PM   #10
tool49 is offline tool49  Canada
diyAudio Member

Control question. Just out of the blue, instead of using a rotary encoder which has somewhat a weird feel to it (I'm referencing to the non stop relative action, and also to the non linearity of the encoder after a year or two of abuse), why not use a log pot with one of the A/D Converter pin of the microcontroller. Something like the ATmega16. This would have the advantage of having a good tracking, very nice sound control through digital pots and better than average feel. The pot only needs to be fed 5V and the microcontroller will convert the value between 0 at 0V (pot full ccw) and 1024 at 5V (pot full cw). Since the PGA only requires 8 bits, you could always dump the two least significant bits and obtain a straight value from 0 to 256.

For an even better volume control, you could always unse a linear pot and calculate the log value with a true log function in the microcontroller...

As for balance and other controls, you could use that rotary encoder on a separate line. This would allow the volume to be adjusted anytime.

I'm not even close to starting on my preamp which will have this idea implemented (must finish the speakers, the gainclone and all those other projects first) but If someone has ideas in this general direction that would be interesting. (not trying to hijack your thread rho, just trying to pitch ideas in)

Hope this helps!
Sébastien

Hide this!Advertise here!