Amp Component upgrade/mod guidance? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th April 2013, 09:36 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Amp Component upgrade/mod guidance?

Hi guys

I would like to upgrade/update some of the components of the main L&R channel boards and the main power caps on my Teac AG H 550.

Sadly my skills & knowledge pretty much end at de-solder/soldering direct fit replacement components (and very well even if I do say so myself )

I know very little about the components themselves which is something I'm working on.

----------------

With this in mind I was hoping some kind souls on here could have a look at the below pictures and service manual (with schematics) and advise me on what are the poorest parts currently fitted and suggested upgrades?

I understand I'm asking a lot and this is quite a bizzare thing to ask, so feel free to tell me to **** off

teac_ag-h550_sm.pdf (Service manual)

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 28th April 2013, 10:13 PM   #2
fpitas is offline fpitas  United States
diyAudio Member

I understand what you're trying to achieve, so I won't tell you to **** off. I will say that you might do a lot of work for little return. Not because the TEAC is bad, but because a well-engineered product is difficult to improve piecemeal. If you have an urge to do creative electronics, you might want to consider building one of Mr. Pass's excellent DIY amps instead.
Old 29th April 2013, 07:55 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I completely agree with you and understand what your saying

A full DIY amp has been on the back burner for a while, now I've found this excellent forum I will be selling up my previous hobby and getting stuck in soon.

In the mean time I would still like to put my mark on the little Teac, for the fun of it. I like it, it has character

Hide this!Advertise here!