Sanyo OS-CON any good ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I like 'em

They're special because they are a little closer to the "perfect capacitor" than most other electrolytics.
Whether they sound good or bad (like any other component) depends on how you use them.
The value and voltage makes them perfect for cathode bypass (decoupling) in many small signal valve stages......time for a change?;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
The value and voltage makes them perfect for cathode bypass (decoupling) in many small signal valve stages......time for a change?

Although I am very fond of OSCON in digital gear I am surprised that they are recommended in tube amps. My experience is that they don't sound optimal in the analog signal path. In the digital part of cdplayers and for the supply of low jitter oscillators they are the right cap at the right place. I recall using them once for decoupling an opamp in the output stage. Deteriorated the sound, very thin bass. It took me some time to find out that it were the OSCONs ( 15 uF 25V ). I gave them the time to settle but couldn't get good results.

SXE is very good. Mmm, nearly miswrote that quote :D Long life and low ESR and good sounding. I forgot about LXF, couldn't obtain them easily as well so I used SXE instead. OSCON is better though.

Please google for datasheets on OSCON. You'll like what you'll read...

jean-paul said:

Although I am very fond of OSCON in digital gear I am surprised that they are recommended in tube amps. My experience is that they don't sound optimal in the signal path.

SXE is very good. Mmm, nearly miswrote that quote :D Long life and low ESR and good sounding. I forgot about LXF, couldn't obtain them easily as well so I used SXE instead.
Lol, and I misread :D

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Strange comment from a tube geek, tube geeks hear unmeasurable artefacts all the time :D

Anyhow, I am not the only one with that experience. I *do* stock and use OSCON 100/220 uF quite frequently and I am in no way negative about this great product except that there are better caps out there for use in the analog signal path.

In my experience OSCON's are great for digital circuit decoupling. However a bit sharp sounding for decoupling analog stages. Nothing i know beats Black Gate in that area.

LXF - SXE are you talking Nippon Chemicon's?

We used a lot of these in the 90's where analythical was good, and micro details analysis was better. (At any cost .. specially musicality). Nowadays though, other sound types and other capacitors are preferred.

jean-paul said:
Strange comment from a tube geek, tube geeks hear unmeasurable artefacts all the time :D

Anyhow, I am not the only one with that experience. I *do* stock and use OSCON 100/220 uF quite frequently and I am in no way negative about this great product except that there are better caps out there for use in the analog signal path.

Jean-Paul, what about some OSCONs for the 14 decoupling caps of a TDA1541A?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Yes I meant Nippon Chemicon, now United Chemicon SXE. Used them mainly in digital gear with good results.

Nowadays though, other sound types and other capacitors are preferred.

You're right. Time to move on. BG NX Hi Q is very good but few values are made unfortunately. Panasonic FC is good and not expensive. BCComponents make some fine caps as well, I use them mostly.

Jean-Paul, what about some OSCONs for the 14 decoupling caps of a TDA1541A?

Yeah, what about them ? ;)

Tube geeks united...

jean-paul said:
snip...Although I am very fond of OSCON in digital gear I am surprised that they are recommended in tube amps. My experience is that they don't sound optimal in the analog signal path...snip..

jean-paul said:

..snip

I don't usually rely on references, but depend on the strength of my own argument to justify my point. However, I couldn't resist this, which I read today in Morgan Jones' 3rd Edition of Valve Amplifiers. Page 222 includes this:

~ , Sanyo's "OS-CON" range of capacitors uses an organic semiconductor electrolyte that significantly reduces ESR. Reduced electrolyte resistivity allows deeper etching, resulting in higher capacitance per unit volume, and therefore reduced inductance. OS-CONS therefore have measureably better high frequency characteristics, and would be ideally suited as cathode bypass capacitors, if it were not for their extremely high price.

Morgan is usually on-target with his judgements.
The capacitors in this case are "stock".

For anyone with an interest in valves, Morgan's 3rd Edition is a must. I recommend it highly.

Edit: That'll be £10 please Mr Jones :D

Did some research today

The OSCONs that I have are purple and say 105°, but have magnetic leads, so nothing for the signal path, but for digital decoupling should be very good because 0,4 Ohm @ 100kHz.

Found a website that says @1Mhz and 15MHz better ripple rejection than BG :xeye:

What about Rubycon GXF 10000µF/10V ?

The thing is I plan to build low voltage rail classA amp and 10V caps are perfect.

I wonder if the magnetic leads of the OSCONS do harm if they are in the analog psu.

Also TO3 Fets are magnetic and a lot :bigeyes:

Thanks, not another CD player ;)

Maybe make an offer total price for how many pieces you want.

I have 220 and want to keep 40 for own use, the rest 180 pieces I can sell.

Looks like it is the cap for 5V supply of DAC.

I am looking for nonmagnetic resistors, Jahre mica caps, TDA 1541 S1 :xeye: , Hitachi TO3 fets or substitutes like buz 900 series.

oscon.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.