Sanyo OS-CON any good ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Any comments on these points?

The SC series with silver-plated leads may have been discontinued (silver became expensive), but various other series (smaller or with better ripple current) seem to have replaced it. However, I prefer physically larger caps for audio, as long as they fit. Here's a link to my mods to a Cambridge Audio Azur 540D V1 DVD Player (including some Oscon SCs used in the signal path without problems, sounds very sweet and transparent).

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...dge-audio-azur-c540-cd-mod-2.html#post3612640

The SP was the standard line and the SP serie the lower ESR often used in audio. The body of the cap has a purple plastic (be carefull to some blue one marked oscon too : it was Sprague : sound was not as good as Sanyo).

Nowadays the line have direct purple printing on the aluminium can. SEP is the low esr and SEPC the ultralow ESR. The ESR was smaller but the technologie is not the same than the old serie. I suspect the old is better than the new ones for numeric stages, people like T. Loesch at AMR for the CD77 use the old, Not sure because they have a stock but for the sound with numeric stage.
About the use of Oscon in serie as DC blocker, for my personal test I don't recomand it, here a Silmic 2 is far better and very transparent if two are used in reverse serie : +--+ or -++- (Try here two 100 uF/25V or two 50 uf/25v to make 50 or 25 uf) : it's less brighty than MKP here, most of the time an // of low value (0.1)is a bad thing. A better is more expensive : like aluminium paper in oil of 4 uf mini. If you want // with the silmic, use 1 uF oil MKP, oil paper...or lundhal trafo). That's not say Linuxguru is wrong with oscon in serie, because he talks here with a particular tweak (azur c540) he experimented and the tonal result was maybe good here with the rest of the tweak for the ears... You have to test yourself.

The problem with the old oscon serie is that today it's impossible to source, most are fake from chineese vendors. New Oscon like SEP are easier to source I don't test it, people say they are near the Nichicon of the same tech...

I've used lots of Cerafine, Silmic I & II in almost all my gear and a few Oscons
(not sure, but these may be SA), a friend gave me, in my CDP. However, there
a some caps left to replace.
Most likely I will also replace some Panasonic FCs with Silmics in my Pearl phono.
Don't get me wrong though, I'm not a guy willig to spent hundreds on boutique
caps. Decent parts where they make sense, but a proper circuit and psu matter
most to me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.