pushbutton power circuit - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th November 2003, 04:42 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question pushbutton power circuit

I would like to add a push button on/off switch to my home theater amp, such as the stainless ones found here: http://www.bulgin.co.uk/ but can only find low amperage pushbuttons (5amps is the best I found). I'm pretty sure most amps, and certainly a theater amp, is drawing more than this, so I don't want to have the pushbutton switch be in the main current path. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know how to design a circuit which uses the the push button as a trigger, rather than be in the current path. Does anybody have a diagram or link which details how I might implement this? Or even a link to a commercial product which serves this function?

Thanks!! Todd
Old 4th December 2003, 09:16 PM   #2
Wright is offline Wright  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Wright Send a message via MSN to Wright
Hey Todd,

I'm in the same boat as you and in fact I want to use bulgin switches as well. It looks like we will have to use a "relay" added on to the switch. I'm still digging for more information but have a look at my "show me your cool switches" thread for a bit of discussion on it.

George
Old 4th December 2003, 09:25 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi George -

Thanks for the follow up! I ordered one of the Bulgin switches and a 120v relay like this - http://www.findernet.com/en/countries/usa/pdf/S20US.pdf -
which I hope will work... I'll post my results! Wish me luck !

Todd
Old 5th December 2003, 08:44 AM   #4
rcrump is offline rcrump  United States
diyAudio Member

Had a similar problem as the Parasound HCA-3500 amp I was modifying had two 6a switches, but had some surgisters in front of them.....Surgisters sounded bright to me so I bought some 15a (same as the line fuse) panel mount thermal breakers and got rid of the line fuse, surgisters and cheap switches. Ones I chose were Schurter available from Allied and they were an easy panel mount.....
Old 6th December 2003, 01:14 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hey Todd,

Good luck on your hookup. Please let me know if that relay works ok.

George
Old 6th December 2003, 04:30 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Just got my switch, but not the relay ... the Bulgin vandal resistant switches are very nice and heavy with a great tactile feel - Much better than what I expected! Now if I can get the little puppy to play nice with the relay!
Old 11th December 2003, 06:49 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Just hooked up the relay an switch - works perfect! The only issues that one might have is the relay is made for electrical panel mounting, so no simple way (besides glue) to attach it to the chassis. It also makes a very decernable *click* when engaged by the button trigger...

I'll figure out how to mitigate these issues - main thing is it works and is relatively inexpensive ($13 for relay, $12 for switch)...

Now on to the next project!
Old 11th December 2003, 10:12 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Great news Todd!

I would love to see some pictures of you amp! Also, can you tell me specifically which model numbers you used for the switch and the relay? One thing I'm curious about, with the way you have it setup, is the switch itself subject to the main line voltage? I'm just wondering if using the relay will allow me to use a switch with a much lower VAC rating (i.e. 50mA) then would normally be required. Thanks,

George
Old 11th December 2003, 11:55 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Pulse Power Switch

This is they relay (finder relay) thread for pulse switches (also bulgin). It works perfect.

Ralph
Old 11th December 2003, 05:54 PM   #10
ChemMan is offline ChemMan  United States
diyAudio Member

Check out the Electro-Tech-Online Forums .

At this thread here, is a diagram to construct a low voltage and low current power supply to power small ICs and possibly relay coils. It's connected directly to mains voltage and consists of a half dozen components.

Hide this!Advertise here!