pushbutton power circuit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to add a push button on/off switch to my home theater amp, such as the stainless ones found here: http://www.bulgin.co.uk/ but can only find low amperage pushbuttons (5amps is the best I found). I'm pretty sure most amps, and certainly a theater amp, is drawing more than this, so I don't want to have the pushbutton switch be in the main current path. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know how to design a circuit which uses the the push button as a trigger, rather than be in the current path. Does anybody have a diagram or link which details how I might implement this? Or even a link to a commercial product which serves this function?

Thanks!! Todd

Hey Todd,

I'm in the same boat as you and in fact I want to use bulgin switches as well. It looks like we will have to use a "relay" added on to the switch. I'm still digging for more information but have a look at my "show me your cool switches" thread for a bit of discussion on it.

George

Had a similar problem as the Parasound HCA-3500 amp I was modifying had two 6a switches, but had some surgisters in front of them.....Surgisters sounded bright to me so I bought some 15a (same as the line fuse) panel mount thermal breakers and got rid of the line fuse, surgisters and cheap switches. Ones I chose were Schurter available from Allied and they were an easy panel mount.....

:D

Just hooked up the relay an switch - works perfect! The only issues that one might have is the relay is made for electrical panel mounting, so no simple way (besides glue) to attach it to the chassis. It also makes a very decernable *click* when engaged by the button trigger...

I'll figure out how to mitigate these issues - main thing is it works and is relatively inexpensive ($13 for relay, $12 for switch)...

Now on to the next project! :D

Great news Todd!

I would love to see some pictures of you amp! Also, can you tell me specifically which model numbers you used for the switch and the relay? One thing I'm curious about, with the way you have it setup, is the switch itself subject to the main line voltage? I'm just wondering if using the relay will allow me to use a switch with a much lower VAC rating (i.e. 50mA) then would normally be required. Thanks,

George

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.