Fake capacitors?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are these fake? I can not seem to find their datasheet anywhere. They are purchased from local stores.

First capacitor, please ignore the ceramic cap soldered across its leads. I can not find a Rubycon USP series, nor a 10000uF 35V with a 105 deg rating.

1-1_zps4ced2aee.jpg

2_zpsad1aa57e.jpg

3_zpse65cb210.jpg

Second capacitor. (I can not find any datasheet for Samsung branded capacitor)

4_zpsc17797b6.jpg

6_zps21612891.jpg

5_zps95b8c64a.jpg

Last edited:
I'd say if you suspect them of being fakes cut one open and post pics. Without some hard numerical data or actually seeing what is inside, we would have virtually no way of knowing. Just because you can't find a retailer that sells that exact brand, value and style of cap does not always mean it is a fake. What has got you feeling suspicious?

If I am sure that they are fake, I'll definitely rip it apart and take some pictures.

They look real to me, that's why I got them. What got me suspicious is I can't find any info on them.

Then after looking at the fake photos where they encase a cheap cap with known make, they seem to have one thing in common, which is the black plastic top. With my limited experience, I have never came across a cap with the black plastic top. But as I said, my experience are limited.

Did I just ruined a perfectly good capacitor? :D

FE75E531-4916-485F-83C9-5E1ACBF176F8-680-000001345BEB1D99_zps12058a2c.jpg

782DD3EF-B6D5-4181-A142-F5697CAF981E-680-000001346743B5F5_zps1c53c7e9.jpg

F57383CE-3122-44A6-92B8-0701B3C5E907-680-000001346C2585F9_zps5eb9b65f.jpg

What do you guys think of the construction? The liquid is kind of frozen underneath, is this how it is supposed to be? I wonder what is the purpose of that black plastic disc on top of the cylinder?

Last edited:
The black plastic disc is the vent. Rubycon have a very good name and to go to the expense of purchasing thousands of fake cans and then printing Rubycon on the plastic sleeve, seems very far fetched to me as the retail price of capacitors like these is only a few pennies. What would the point be?

I don't know if you can see it from the picture, there doesn't seem to be any venting mechanism on the can, just a plastic disc on top of the can.

I know it can seem hard to understand why would a person want to fake something that isn't exactly expensive. But if people can go through all that trouble to fake eggs, that sells just a few cents less than the real thing, printing a few fake labels is nothing. :D

It's nothing I'd buy- I only deal with reputable, large distributors like Mouser, Allied, Digikey, Newark... my assumption is always that if it's eBay or some private dealer from Asia, it's likely to be fake. The fakes may or may not work well, but it's not what I want in my equipment. I was just explaining what JMF was saying.

Who cares anyway?
Do they measure well or not?
As in capacitance/voltage/ESR/etc.
There was one brand of fake capacitor (Lelon?)that had something wrong with the electrolyte. It would measure just fine. At first it worked fine. But, it aged terribly fast. In a few years it would measure wrong, explode, leak, damage other components, etc. For that reason, it's hard to tell by measurements or inspection.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.