Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2013, 09:41 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
The black plastic disc is the vent. Rubycon have a very good name and to go to the expense of purchasing thousands of fake cans and then printing Rubycon on the plastic sleeve, seems very far fetched to me as the retail price of capacitors like these is only a few pennies. What would the point be?
Old 28th March 2013, 09:53 AM   #12
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Printing fake plastic sleeves is between trivially cheap and zero. Especially when you look at it as marginal cost- they have to print a sleeve anyway, what does it cost to have it say "Rubycon" rather than "Excellent YangTze Capacitor"?
Old 28th March 2013, 09:54 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
I think he means, why do you care if it's "really" Brand X if it works properly?
Even if it works properly, I would keep wondering "for how long?". It's like hiring a helper with a fake ID, I would try not to have the person in my home even if the person can work well.
Old 28th March 2013, 09:57 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyjon View Post
The black plastic disc is the vent. Rubycon have a very good name and to go to the expense of purchasing thousands of fake cans and then printing Rubycon on the plastic sleeve, seems very far fetched to me as the retail price of capacitors like these is only a few pennies. What would the point be?
I don't know if you can see it from the picture, there doesn't seem to be any venting mechanism on the can, just a plastic disc on top of the can.

I know it can seem hard to understand why would a person want to fake something that isn't exactly expensive. But if people can go through all that trouble to fake eggs, that sells just a few cents less than the real thing, printing a few fake labels is nothing.
Old 28th March 2013, 10:14 AM   #15
diyAudio Moderator

It's nothing I'd buy- I only deal with reputable, large distributors like Mouser, Allied, Digikey, Newark... my assumption is always that if it's eBay or some private dealer from Asia, it's likely to be fake. The fakes may or may not work well, but it's not what I want in my equipment. I was just explaining what JMF was saying.
Old 28th March 2013, 10:39 AM   #16
FoMoCo is offline FoMoCo  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFahey View Post
Who cares anyway?
Do they measure well or not?
As in capacitance/voltage/ESR/etc.
There was one brand of fake capacitor (Lelon?)that had something wrong with the electrolyte. It would measure just fine. At first it worked fine. But, it aged terribly fast. In a few years it would measure wrong, explode, leak, damage other components, etc. For that reason, it's hard to tell by measurements or inspection.
Old 28th March 2013, 01:30 PM   #17
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Is this a nested fake?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fake_capacitor.jpg (61.3 KB, 242 views)
Old 28th March 2013, 01:42 PM   #18
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
I think he means, why do you care if it's "really" Brand X if it works properly?
Yes, that's the point.

After all, the thread did not comment a single word about *how* it worked, only whether "they" could find it in a catalog or not, so I want to put things in perspective.
Old 28th March 2013, 02:08 PM   #19
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoMoCo View Post
There was one brand of fake capacitor (Lelon?)that had something wrong with the electrolyte. It would measure just fine. At first it worked fine. But, it aged terribly fast.
As Dell found out the hard way, it doesn't even have to be fake for that problem to happen!

oshifis, may I assume that this cap did not come from England?
Old 28th March 2013, 03:18 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshifis View Post
Is this a nested fake?
I don't know, you may have to open that up.

But then we won't know how it measures.

Hide this!Advertise here!