Where can I order a multiple octave tone generator chip?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2013, 01:05 AM   #1
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New York City
Default Where can I order a multiple octave tone generator chip??

Hello all!
I'm very new to circuit building, and I'm currently taking an electronics class at NYU. For my final project I'm trying to construct an analog voice modulator. For one part of the circuit, I need a multiple octave tone generator chip, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding one. I need to get it ordered as soon as possible so if someone could point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated!! Also, is there a specific type of octave chip I should get?
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 04:46 AM   #2
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Lansing, Michigan
Maybe better define what you need. An octave is nothing more than a frequency difference with a factor of 2. Divide a frequency in half and you have one octave lower. So the basic answer would seem to be to make a master oscillator at a high frequency, then run it through as many divide by 2 dividers as needed to generate as many lower octaves as necessary.

Now if you are looking for a chip that generates all the notes of one octave, that is a totally different thing. Primitive synthesizers would use that, usually called a "top octave generator" chip. fed with a master clock, it produced all the notes of the scale at the higherst octave. Then you could add divider chains for each note to generate the lower octaves.

You COULD be asking for either thing, or something else yet. COnsidering your premise, you might even be trying to describe a pitch shifter.
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 04:28 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New York City
My professor specifically stated that I should use an octave chip... He was pretty vague, and I'm not that well versed in chips or circuit building so I'm pretty lost. I was doing some research online and found a bunch of sites that mentioned the "top octave generator" chip. Would I be able to use that kind of chip to manipulate the pitch of the incoming voice signal instead of using an oscillator of some sort? And if so, where can I find one?
If that's not the case, what kind of chip could I use to create a pitch shift of an octave above and below the given signal?
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 05:23 PM   #4
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Lansing, Michigan
As I said, a top octave generator is designed to make continuous tones of each note of the musical scale. It is a signal generator rather than a signal procesor. It is also very old technology, I would find them mostly just as replacements in repair of old keyboard instruments.

So you do want a pitch shifter. I have to say in my own eperience I have no recall of something specifically called an octave chip, but I learn something new every day.

Lacking specific knowledge, I might look for existing pitch shifting products. I do know that some bass amps have sub-octave generating features. Adds bottom to the bass notes. They are really just frequency dividers/multipliers. And octaver pedals are popular effects for guitar and bass. Go to Musiciians Friend web site and enter
"octave pedal" into the search box. You will get about 40 examples to look at and maybe get ideas. If you can find schematics for any of them it may provide insights as to how they went about it.

There are various effects units that pitch shift, but as far as I know all of them are DSP based, and I am thinking maybe your prof is not looking for a complex DSP project.

You might also search up "harmonizer" at the same web site. You will get some of the same responses - and octave effect is a sort of harmony - but some other interesting products. I have been eyeing an EH unit that will generate three part harmony from one vocal signal. ALlows me to be my own backup singers.
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 05:46 PM   #5
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: ..
do you have a more detailed description of "analog voice modulator" - preferably in signal theory terms - frequency, pitch, phase, amplitude what "modulation" of what signal, with what "modulating" control signal?
  Reply With Quote


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tone generator software scott17 Software Tools 10 27th March 2012 07:58 PM
Adjustable octave warble tone generator percy Everything Else 8 3rd December 2010 04:00 PM
Tone Generator - Multiple Tones and Variable Amplitude percy Equipment & Tools 15 20th December 2007 02:17 PM
software 1/3 octave pink noise generator deandob Multi-Way 6 25th March 2006 06:05 AM

New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:30 PM.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2017 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2