Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th March 2013, 11:17 PM   #11
ktuuri is offline ktuuri  Canada
diyAudio Member

It replaced a Blue Alps.
I found the Precision pot to have a Blacker background and more clarity+ the feel is much better (more solid) as you turn the pot up or down.

There are a number of good reviews about it.
Old 13th March 2013, 12:12 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to N-Channel
Default Best Volume Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyjon View Post
Penny and Giles, they produce sliding controls for Allen & Heath and are almost unbeatable. They are UK made but available mostly anywhere. Otherwise we are limited to Alps or Panasonic for realistically designed and quiet carbon controls. Try RS or Farnel for a few ideas.
Immediately, I thought of Penny & Giles even before I opened this thread!

-Steve
Old 13th March 2013, 12:27 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
I am proud to say that P&G produce the best slider pots I have had the privilege to work as a sound engineer with for over 45Years. They are English and made less than 50miles from where I live.
Old 13th March 2013, 12:44 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-Channel View Post
Immediately, I thought of Penny & Giles even before I opened this thread!

-Steve
Looking at their rotary controls, it appears we are talking several hundred dollars each.

As much as I would love to hear them, unfortunately, that kind of cost isn't practical for me.

Somewhere under $100 is necessary. Thanks again for all your recommendations.
Old 13th March 2013, 07:37 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Better value for money than a lot of interconnect cables
Old 13th March 2013, 02:16 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsrsb View Post
Better value for money than a lot of interconnect cables
Do we know a fairly exact USD cost of one of these Penny&Giles beauties?
Old 10th April 2013, 02:13 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

If you can live with a drop of around 6dB then shunting the pot with Z foils will give you a far superior volume control than building a shunt att. even using a Seiden switch made using Welwyn RC55Y resistors - I know because that is what I found over 11 years ago.

By using this simple system as long as the pot is even between channels the pot itself does'nt matter because it is shunted out of the way. I tried many different resistors and all are coloured except the Z foils, I hav'nt used the Caddocks which many rate very highly or on a par with Vishay Z foils but I refuse to comment on something I have no personal experience of.

The 'received wisdom' is to use 90% of the pot value. The cheapest place to buy Z foils is from Texas Components a very good company to deal with directly, do not buy from Chalfont in Wales as they are a 'preferred supplier' by the MOD. They used to be 3 x times the price of TC but I believe they have dropped their prices a little embarrassed by the price differential with TC.
Old 10th April 2013, 02:23 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

My favorite is Shallco with Shinkoh resistors.
Old 13th April 2013, 07:53 AM   #19
canks is offline canks  United States
diyAudio Member

I got a nice Audio Note pot for my B1
Old 28th April 2013, 12:34 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

ktuuri,
I looked at the specs for this KKA pot and found that they do a 25K version, OK a 35K one would be better for my purposes as I want to shunt it with Z foils - highly rec.

Then I took a look at Digikey/fr (where I live) and I was certain what I would find - Ä21 + Ä18 shipping - which is why I never buy anything in France, they are killing their business. Even Digikey/uk only charge £12 which is still a rip-off shipping cost.

Then I took a look at Digikey/ca - shipping cost - $8 ca - entirely reasonable.

Any Canadian putting in an order with Digikey/ca? - I would rather use Paypal and pay for shipping onto France than buy here.

Hide this!Advertise here!