Need help identifying component from power amp circuit board - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd March 2013, 04:54 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Need help identifying component from power amp circuit board

Any idea what this component is (says R1 on circuit board)???

the long story...
I bought a damaged PV900 power amp from ebay to try and repair it. Looks like considerable shorting on the toroidal transformer (plastic tape melted and some wire sheathing) along with a short on the cb from the toroidal lead that was shorting. I removed outer plastic tape wrap, followed electric leads down to where winding begins and re-taped where sheathing had melted against the toroidal copper windings. I then repaired the fried spot on the cb by bridging the small burnout with wire. Everything seemed to be working and then this thing burned up. and what some possibilities for why it's overheating?

Long time lurker first time poster, thanks for all the help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01140.jpg (285.2 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01137.jpg (237.2 KB, 148 views)
Old 3rd March 2013, 05:32 PM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

The general shape is that of either a disc ceramic capacitor or an inrush limiter. My guess is the latter. If the transformer has a shorted turn then frying the inrush limiter would be a natural consequence of this.
Old 3rd March 2013, 05:38 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Looks like a thermistor. Could be a SL32 2R025 (or 10015), but because the photo was most likely taken with a potato (I kid!) I could be very wrong.

Best to check the numbers that on there and compare.

SL32 2R025 - AMETHERM - NTC THERMISTOR | Newark

and if you are in the UK, Farnell...

SL32 10015 - AMETHERM - THERMISTOR, SERIES SL32 | Farnell United Kingdom

Important to make sure you have the right number so you can limit the initial voltage until it gradually heats up and drops to lower resistance (some to 2 ohms or so) allowing for everything to go in.
Old 3rd March 2013, 07:58 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default really blurry printing on thermistor

yeah it looks like the camera was out of focus but it's actually the crappy printing on the part. I think you're right about it being a thermistor. I'm trying to figure out if it was damaged before my attempt to repair the transformer. WHen I plugged everything in, the original short seemed ok but then this thermistor got very hot and cracked. I can't find any method described on-line to test the actual toroidal transformer.
Old 3rd March 2013, 08:05 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

it is a UK part as i think it says 10015 and the transformer is noratel (UK?) my question is, are these the same part? I'm in the US
Old 3rd March 2013, 08:12 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

sorry for previous post I see in the description of each that they are rather different. 10ohm or 2ohm. The amp goes to 2 ohm but I imagine that has nothing to do with this component.

Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction. Only wish I knew what to do now...
Old 3rd March 2013, 08:20 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

maybe I should do my research before I start typing. I see at the US site Ametherm they have the exact same part and number. Will continue to look for ways to diagnose my transformer. I'd buy a new one, but I bet it'll cost a bloody fortune
Old 3rd March 2013, 08:33 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

bhuckabee
before replacing this component and powering up check the output transistors for shorts if insulation on transformer leads where melting you gotta wonder where the short/current draw is coming from?
Old 4th March 2013, 03:20 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Any notion how to go about testing a toroidal transformer to see if it's shorting or something on the board?

I'm wondering if someone had hooked it up to too many speakers reducing the load to under 2 ohm thus overloading the amp. Thing is, I'm a novice and am not sure if the transformer would fry or another component when this type of load scenario occurs.
Old 4th March 2013, 05:17 PM   #10
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

You could use a lamp limiter, with all transformer secondaries disconnected and carefully insulated off. If the lamp lights you probably have a shorted turn.

Hide this!Advertise here!