How do you keep invertory of your parts? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd March 2013, 07:05 AM   #11
Enzo is online now Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

If all you are doing is ordering parts for a project, then I'd agree, you don't need a ton of extra parts. But when 1/4w resistors are 15 cents each or about a penny in 100 lot, I buy the dollar's worth because I will use resistors in anything I work on. I mean for my dollar I can get 6 or 7 resistors or I can get 100 of them. If your shop is more than a one-off project on the kitchen table, then a stock of common values of common parts is worth having. 11.2 ohms? Maybe not, but 1.5k, 220k, 10k, , etc. you bet I stock them in bulk. 5w 0.33 ohms and 0.22 ohms, I buy 10 at a time just because one repair can use that many.
Old 2nd March 2013, 07:14 AM   #12
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I have a spreadsheet for my output transformers. The rest is chaos. Most of my time building an amp is searching for the parts.
Old 2nd March 2013, 07:14 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Electrolytic caps for power supplies should generally be from reputed manufacturers. I have some ( even with screw terminals !) that appeared to be leaking about 5 years down the line. And they weren't even used. So that goes into the garbage.....money down the drain !
Old 2nd March 2013, 07:45 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I can keep a partial mental inventory from searching through my junkbox. I also use an old shareware program, Collect! by Alston Software Labs, to keep a lot of parts organized. It has customizable fields, and I've made a few different data files for passives (R/C/L), actives, other passives (switches, connectors, etc.), hardware. It's convenient to have the information on the computer when ordering online.
Old 2nd March 2013, 08:33 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

my parts collection is its own inventory

only things i sort by value are resistors into decades, and high wattage and "specials" have there own place too. else it's just a box for each type of thing.
Old 2nd March 2013, 07:24 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the input.
Good to know I am not alone in the home chaos. :-) I try to collect things in bags, boxes, envelopes, even small sort drawers but many times I open an "other" labelled bag or something for parts I do not know if ever will be needed. But who knows. Mostly rare parts hurt to get lost, because it is hard to find locally, and expensive to buy in small quantity from abroad.

Hide this!Advertise here!