Old ceramic dogbone capacitor color codes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just purchased an old tube preamp and am I am having a tough time translating the color codes from these two old ceramic cylindrical capacitor. I find conflicting information on the web and my LC meter tells me something completely different. Could someone take a crack at reading this cap, based upon what you see?

Thanks.
John

Attachments

• IMG_1728.jpg
    IMG_1728.jpg
    856.9 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_1732.jpg
    IMG_1732.jpg
    922.3 KB · Views: 256
it's a little hard to see the color bands it is the two components that appear different than to the resistors?
if so and if i'm reading the bands correctly it would/should be 250 picofarad.
but looking at these reminds me of encapsulated wire wound inductors which would make them 250 micro henry inductors.what are these selector swicthes intended to do in this amp?

it's a little hard to see the color bands it is the two components that appear different than to the resistors?
if so and if i'm reading the bands correctly it would/should be 250 picofarad.
but looking at these reminds me of encapsulated wire wound inductors which would make them 250 micro henry inductors.what are these selector swicthes intended to do in this amp?

The colors as I read them (not much clearer in real life) are silver, brown, green, red. Could you explain how you came up with 250 pF? This rotary swiich selects the input soure. Ie., RIAA, NAB, Tape, 78, etc.

Thanks again.

The colors as I read them (not much clearer in real life) are silver, brown, green, red. Could you explain how you came up with 250 pF? This rotary swiich selects the input soure. Ie., RIAA, NAB, Tape, 78, etc.

Thanks again.

red =2
green =5
brown =1
silver =10%

25 x 10^1 = 250

Standard resistor (and other devices that chose to follow it) colour code.

well that just revealed alot when listing color code bands silver gold or nc (no color) are tolerances that are usually listed last.
if they are on the source selector they well could be hi frequency filters.
as far as a schematic you might be hard pressed as it looks like one of the many kit amps of the time based on the williamson circuit.eico heath and knight along with allied are all companies that made and distributed kit amps like this back in the day.this is not to say that with a little archival research you may be able to track down the origins of your vintage treasure.

Apparently, not according to Color codes for Capacitors.

I would have to agree that according to Figure 3-23. - Ceramic capacitor color code, the silver could be the first and represent a temperature coefficient.

That would make it

brown =1
green =5
red =2

or 15 x 10^2 = 1500pF at probably 20% tolerance (no band for tolerance)

Learn something every day.

:)

Measure it and tell us what the value is...250pF or 1500pF.

Even a cheap meter can tell the difference.

I would have to agree that according to Figure 3-23. - Ceramic capacitor color code, the silver could be the first and represent a temperature coefficient.

That would make it

brown =1
green =5
red =2

or 15 x 10^2 = 1500pF at probably 20% tolerance (no band for tolerance)

Learn something every day.

My LC meter says 1,932.7 pF!

Measure it and tell us what the value is...250pF or 1500pF.

Even a cheap meter can tell the difference.

If the tolerance band (silver) is read first then:
152 = 1500pf
Are you are using the meter leads to attach to the cap in question? If so you must null out the capacitance of the leads or subtract the value of lead capacitance and your hands if you are holding the leads. That value can be several hundred pf.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.