when to use high grade caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
DF96,
This is no different than those who truly believe in the boutique capacitors. As I have stated here and in other threads I have actually seen some of the high end brand names wound on the exact same machines with the same films as the standard capacitors. The only differences were as simple as a nice pretty wrapper and at best I saw some that used a braided lead-out wire instead of a solid lead. They looked pretty but the electrical properties were identical. The only thing that some of these manufacturers had to pay for was the different film wrapper cover and a simple pad printer artwork change. It was a fraud to say the least, but it wasn't the actual capacitor manufacturer making the claims just the sellers of the parts.

I couldn't agree more. As long as the value of the capacitor, including the temperature range and internal impedance meets the specifications, don't waste your money with over priced rip-off components!

Last edited:
I started reading the "HHHF" site linked above and had to stop because it gave me headache.

As in that "capacitors need burn-in to achieve their real sound"?
Written as:
they need a much longer burn-in time than most capacitors, in the beginning they are rather aggressive. ..... They are well detailed but I find the midrange a little under exposed, ...... Spatiality is good, probably due to the highlighted top-end but only average separation.
C'mon, gimme a break !!!

Tell me that about wine/cheese/whisky/chili/etc. and I'll believe you.
Those are organic products, with *live* organisms doing their stuff inside along the way, chemical reactions in process modifying the food, etc. ..... but on plastic + metal capacitors?

I doubt they'll change 5% their rated value or properties in, say, 10 years.

DF,
I would conjecture that the films may have very small irregularities in the film such as microscopic holes in the film. I think the film itself is made by a casting process and this could allow pin holes to form. I would think this would cause a slight localized leak between layers of the film and this may be what is normalizing in the caps over time.

Pano,
My question in a power supply would be what the voltage rating of the caps would be used in those positions. A high voltage film caps is going to be large for one thing and expensive if you are using high values, so where these just misapplied capacitors used in a poor application?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Errr.... It's reaching back a few years, but what I remember was seeing measurements that showed different noise spectra after the caps had been in service for some time. IIRC, it was significant. But don't put too much stock in that without seeing the study.

Funny: today I saw on this forum a thread that's going on now about mundorf silver in oil caps. The tone was quite different from the postings above. I wonder did my questions scare the posters on the other thread, or the negative reactions above? I was willing to give it a chance to have it explained. Appearently there are no posters yet that experienced sonic benefits from these capacatitors that are willing to go against the grain and explain under which conditions a difference was made.

Dre,
standard good quality caps (usually high temp range -10 to +85) from standard electronic suppliers (Digikey RS etc) are used every day in all our electronics, but also in automotive, which is almost if not more safety concious about how well the ever increasing electronics that controll are car will perform and perform over time. Since the Toyota incedents in the USA (NASA produced a 750 page document on the issue!) reliability and the concern for reliability almost outdoes space grade elctronics, why? because the fear of multi million law suits focuses the design. So if they are good enough for all the other markets they should be good enough for a crossover.
It also vibrates in cars:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.