diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Parts (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/)
-   -   Fake Blackgates?? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/229961-fake-blackgates.html)

valve5425 13th February 2013 04:16 PM

Fake Blackgates??

1 Attachment(s)
OK, put me out of my misery and confirm what I suspect, I've got some duffers!!

Thought I'd clear some NOS so checked out 2 Blackgate FK 100uf 100v caps. They measured 85.3 and 85.7uf respectively. Alarm bells sounded so I checked one of my used stock. 95uf. Took a closer look and the writing's slightly different. (see the photo, suspect one at the top) This can't be right! I've had these over ten years now and bought them, along with a load of other parts, from a reputable supplier in Nevada. Never thought to check them at the time as Blackgates were pretty common then, big mistake, or is it? Surely these can't be genuine with measurements like that. I know the big problem with Chinese and far eastern fakes but didn't think I'd get stung with these.

Your comments would be appreciated and if you can post pics and measurements that would be even better.

Thanks in anticipation,

Dean.

valve5425 13th February 2013 04:19 PM

Forgot to mention, weighed them and the suspect ones weigh just over 14 gms each, virtually no difference between the two, and the used, original, is just over 13 gms. No differences in size.

Thanks,

Dean

Larry Ng 13th February 2013 04:30 PM

I have been using Blackgates as long as it was launched into the market , I still have many stocks , both new & used , I just looked over all my stocks , hundreds of them , various uf sizes , I just noted one point , the word "Rubycon" is almost the same length as the word "Black Gate" , no matter what the sizes of the caps were ., so I am worrying to say that , the top one is likely to be a faked one !

Larry

Rob41 13th February 2013 04:39 PM

They added a space between gate and fk as well.

kevinkr 13th February 2013 04:42 PM

Did you reform them before testing? And what was the specified tolerance of the part? (+/-20% ?) Your measurement is by no means conclusive, they could be fakes but this does not demonstrate that to be the case.

Larry Ng 13th February 2013 04:52 PM

I have just tested 20 caps , from 100uf to 2500uf , the difference is from -5% to +10% (100uf tested to be 110uf ) , typical less by 3-5% only , the tolerance is thus small !

Rob41 13th February 2013 05:22 PM

How old could they be? Should caps this new require reforming?

merlin el mago 13th February 2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Ng (Post 3368306)
I have been using Blackgates as long as it was launched into the market , I still have many stocks , both new & used , I just looked over all my stocks , hundreds of them , various uf sizes , I just noted one point , the word "Rubycon" is almost the same length as the word "Black Gate" , no matter what the sizes of the caps were ., so I am worrying to say that , the top one is likely to be a faked one !

Larry

I have originals for sure all bought to Michael Percy Audio USA & not always the word Rubycon havethe same lenght that the word Rubycon also the series "FK" not always with space or without space Black Gate FK original also Black GateFK original.

Felipe

merlin el mago 13th February 2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob41 (Post 3368322)
They added a space between gate and fk as well.

Not true.

merlin el mago 13th February 2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by valve5425 (Post 3368283)
OK, put me out of my misery and confirm what I suspect, I've got some duffers!!

Thought I'd clear some NOS so checked out 2 Blackgate FK 100uf 100v caps. They measured 85.3 and 85.7uf respectively. Alarm bells sounded so I checked one of my used stock. 95uf. Took a closer look and the writing's slightly different. (see the photo, suspect one at the top) This can't be right! I've had these over ten years now and bought them, along with a load of other parts, from a reputable supplier in Nevada. Never thought to check them at the time as Blackgates were pretty common then, big mistake, or is it? Surely these can't be genuine with measurements like that. I know the big problem with Chinese and far eastern fakes but didn't think I'd get stung with these.

Your comments would be appreciated and if you can post pics and measurements that would be even better.

Thanks in anticipation,

Dean.

Could you show the other side where is the other printed letter? Also the top of the cap where can see the metal & other of the botton cap where are the legs?

Cheers
Felipe