Fake Blackgates?? - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2013, 08:04 PM   #51
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
reminds me now
some years back there was a debate about how to build a fast burn in rig especially for BG caps
because BG caps had a bad reputation for sounding harsh when new
and one known reason for this was 'inadquate function'

I found it all highly dubious, and one reason why mine have now become NOS
which now also makes me wonder...does anyone know how old they really are ?
are there any spec sheets with date codes etc ?

Silmic and other NOS lytic caps ? could be they are still ok.... but I say, no thank you, I want them fresh
actually, I might even consider all 85degr caps to be 'outdated', and near the end of their 'shelf-life'
you might find many 85degr caps 'on sale'
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2013, 08:07 PM   #52
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
My Blackgates , all originals - from appointed dealer . Note the words are very "gold" & crisp , I am told the faked ones are with less "gold" & blurred lettering - one point that faked goods manufacturers do not want to invest too much money in . This also applies to other faked goods from China ,
please take it as a rough guideline if you are not 100% sure of it is genuine .

Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blackgates.jpg (98.6 KB, 127 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2013, 01:14 PM   #53
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
reminds me now
some years back there was a debate about how to build a fast burn in rig especially for BG caps
because BG caps had a bad reputation for sounding harsh when new
and one known reason for this was 'inadquate function'

I found it all highly dubious, and one reason why mine have now become NOS
which now also makes me wonder...does anyone know how old they really are ?
are there any spec sheets with date codes etc ?

Silmic and other NOS lytic caps ? could be they are still ok.... but I say, no thank you, I want them fresh
actually, I might even consider all 85degr caps to be 'outdated', and near the end of their 'shelf-life'
you might find many 85degr caps 'on sale'
So far I've not been able to dig up any info on date codes and the BG's I have look like they may have month codes not year codes. Therefore not really any way of telling how old they are. There must be a point at which BG's, or indeed any other cap, start to degrade beyond recovery and who knows what that time span could be. Better check my Silmics!! As you say, there are plenty of reputable manufacturers out there to try and, considering the difference in costs between them and BG's now, I'm sure the difference in performance would not be that great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Ng View Post
My Blackgates , all originals - from appointed dealer . Note the words are very "gold" & crisp , I am told the faked ones are with less "gold" & blurred lettering - one point that faked goods manufacturers do not want to invest too much money in . This also applies to other faked goods from China ,
please take it as a rough guideline if you are not 100% sure of it is genuine .

Larry
All indications (other than the tolerance of the 100uf FK's) seem to point to the fact that mine are genuine and the print seems to be similar to yours. I'll make a decision on the 100uf's when I've tried reforming them. From a personal point of view, I wouldn't even consider buying any supposedly genuine BG's at the price they are now as it doesn't take a scientist to work out that, as their rarity and value increase, so does the chance of getting fakes. I'll probably sell my 330uf NP's and just use the others when the need arises. Any new caps I do need, I'll get new stock.

Dean
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2013, 06:00 AM   #54
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
anyone know the ESR impedance of these caps ?
Which type/values do you need to know? I still have many and can measure them with the bridge at 100Hz/1kHz.
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2013, 07:42 AM   #55
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by elektroj View Post
Which type/values do you need to know?
hi, I was just interested to hear if anyone knew
I seem to remember low ESR mentioned
but I dont remember any values
are there any ?.... that's what I asked

but thanks anyway
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2013, 01:46 PM   #56
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Type / Value / Voltage / Z, ohms@100Hz / Z, ohms@1kHz

FK 100/25 - 0.2 / 0.08
FK 220/25 - 0.16 / 0.038
FK 470/16 - 0.07 / 0.028
STD 220/16 - 0.41 / 0.137
NX 100/6.3 - 1.1 / 0.40
NX 220/6.3 - 0.39 /0.179
PK 100/10 - 1.0 / 0.51

Last edited by elektroj; 17th February 2013 at 01:51 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2013, 07:14 PM   #57
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: West Yorkshire
Can't find a lot of info on Blackgate factory tolerances but here's a start;

Std, N, NX +/- 20% (info re N and NX comes off EBay so take that as you will)
AC Speaker +/- 10%

Can anyone supply definitive info?
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2013, 07:19 PM   #58
diyAudio Member
 
merlin el mago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Catalonia - Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by elektroj View Post
Type / Value / Voltage / Z, ohms@100Hz / Z, ohms@1kHz

FK 100/25 - 0.2 / 0.08
FK 220/25 - 0.16 / 0.038
FK 470/16 - 0.07 / 0.028
STD 220/16 - 0.41 / 0.137
NX 100/6.3 - 1.1 / 0.40
NX 220/6.3 - 0.39 /0.179
PK 100/10 - 1.0 / 0.51
Good info, thanks to share
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 06:12 PM   #59
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Ng View Post
I have using these caps from time to time and since some of them are used ones , removed from my own gears that I no longer used , I used to take measurement to see if it did stay in shape and hold a charge without quickly dis-charging it , from all my past experiences , these caps were always closed to within 5% tolerance before any re-forming . Some of my caps are over 10 years old , some maybe 15 years , but most of them were used in mild conditions , never too hot , thus , they remain in good shape .

The word length of Rubycon is @90% the length of Blackgate . Not exactly the same . Space or no space between , both are originals .

Larry
Reforming the 100uf 100v FK's made negligible difference to value. Also very little leakage with them so I guess, as suggested, they are originals but just towards the bottom end of the +/- 20% tolerance.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is the substitute for blackgates? AJ Bertelson Parts 1 25th March 2009 03:40 PM
Cerafine VS Blackgates? Htguy Digital Source 5 24th January 2006 10:10 PM
Trade: opa637 (or something else for) Blackgates wrath Swap Meet 2 31st December 2005 03:54 PM
Where can I buy Blackgates??? K-amps Parts 3 25th February 2005 01:07 AM
Do Blackgates age? ainami Parts 4 10th January 2005 10:34 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:18 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2