Fake Blackgates??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Congratulations all pics seems originals;)

I'm grateful for the education here. Even with all the differences pointed out by valve, you believe they are all originals?

Have you ever seen a BG you didn't believe was original?

I've seen very poor copies of caps that are obvious to anyone, but most good copies I've seen are indistinguishable externally. That's why I'm amazed you're able to determine they are in fact originals.

You my friend, possess powers far beyond my own.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I'm grateful for the education here. Even with all the differences pointed out by valve, you believe they are all originals?

Have you ever seen a BG you didn't believe was original?

I've seen very poor copies of caps that are obvious to anyone, but most good copies I've seen are indistinguishable externally. That's why I'm amazed you're able to determine they are in fact originals.

You my friend, possess powers far beyond my own.

You must read between lines, my afirmation is only looks originals. I doubt you have had and ear at some time a black gate:D

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Different case size for same value, 220uf 100v standard? Anybody else found this? Seems a little suspect to me!

different can size for the same type, and value ?.. yes, that does seem weird, and suspect

..... so are the Tufnol ones genuine?

I have 220uf/100V with tufnol ends

Not sure if this info is of use to anyone but if people can have a look at their own stock, which they know to be genuine, then maybe it will help in a small way to identifying any possible fakes out there!

dont know about the cap type letter
I only have standard type, and none them are marked with type letter
but all the more expencive special types seem to be
and on that point a few of them might need a closer study

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
reminds me now
some years back there was a debate about how to build a fast burn in rig especially for BG caps
because BG caps had a bad reputation for sounding harsh when new
and one known reason for this was 'inadquate function'

I found it all highly dubious, and one reason why mine have now become NOS
which now also makes me wonder...does anyone know how old they really are ?
are there any spec sheets with date codes etc ?

Silmic and other NOS lytic caps ? could be they are still ok.... but I say, no thank you, I want them fresh
actually, I might even consider all 85degr caps to be 'outdated', and near the end of their 'shelf-life'
you might find many 85degr caps 'on sale'

My Blackgates , all originals - from appointed dealer . Note the words are very "gold" & crisp , I am told the faked ones are with less "gold" & blurred lettering - one point that faked goods manufacturers do not want to invest too much money in . This also applies to other faked goods from China ,
please take it as a rough guideline if you are not 100% sure of it is genuine .

Larry

Attachments

• Blackgates.jpg
    Blackgates.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 207
reminds me now
some years back there was a debate about how to build a fast burn in rig especially for BG caps
because BG caps had a bad reputation for sounding harsh when new
and one known reason for this was 'inadquate function'

I found it all highly dubious, and one reason why mine have now become NOS
which now also makes me wonder...does anyone know how old they really are ?
are there any spec sheets with date codes etc ?

Silmic and other NOS lytic caps ? could be they are still ok.... but I say, no thank you, I want them fresh
actually, I might even consider all 85degr caps to be 'outdated', and near the end of their 'shelf-life'
you might find many 85degr caps 'on sale'

So far I've not been able to dig up any info on date codes and the BG's I have look like they may have month codes not year codes. Therefore not really any way of telling how old they are. There must be a point at which BG's, or indeed any other cap, start to degrade beyond recovery and who knows what that time span could be. Better check my Silmics!! As you say, there are plenty of reputable manufacturers out there to try and, considering the difference in costs between them and BG's now, I'm sure the difference in performance would not be that great.

My Blackgates , all originals - from appointed dealer . Note the words are very "gold" & crisp , I am told the faked ones are with less "gold" & blurred lettering - one point that faked goods manufacturers do not want to invest too much money in . This also applies to other faked goods from China ,
please take it as a rough guideline if you are not 100% sure of it is genuine .

Larry

All indications (other than the tolerance of the 100uf FK's) seem to point to the fact that mine are genuine and the print seems to be similar to yours. I'll make a decision on the 100uf's when I've tried reforming them. From a personal point of view, I wouldn't even consider buying any supposedly genuine BG's at the price they are now as it doesn't take a scientist to work out that, as their rarity and value increase, so does the chance of getting fakes. I'll probably sell my 330uf NP's and just use the others when the need arises. Any new caps I do need, I'll get new stock.

Dean

I have using these caps from time to time and since some of them are used ones , removed from my own gears that I no longer used , I used to take measurement to see if it did stay in shape and hold a charge without quickly dis-charging it , from all my past experiences , these caps were always closed to within 5% tolerance before any re-forming . Some of my caps are over 10 years old , some maybe 15 years , but most of them were used in mild conditions , never too hot , thus , they remain in good shape .

The word length of Rubycon is @90% the length of Blackgate . Not exactly the same . Space or no space between , both are originals .

Larry

Reforming the 100uf 100v FK's made negligible difference to value. Also very little leakage with them so I guess, as suggested, they are originals but just towards the bottom end of the +/- 20% tolerance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.