What is the most difficult part of 'scratch' building for you? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2013, 05:30 AM   #31
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Not exactly, but almost
In my home town in the 70's and 80's there was this Nisei (second generation Japanese) guy who after the usual couple years visiting Japan in his 20's and working there in some Factory (it's a sort of modern "coming of age" Ritual for them), he brought back the license, machinery and stuff for making Panasonic caps ... under his own brand, of course:
CONELSA (Condensadores Electrolíticos Sociedad Anónima = Electrolytic Capacitors Inc.)
Being a Nerd I visited his factory, which was not a NASA type thing by any means.
Basically they had huge man sized cardboard drums with the treated alumimum foil, graded by insulation and "uF per square meter", 200 liter tanks of electrolyte, all sizes of empty cans, even the light blue heat shrink sleeve preprinted "Conelsa", plus rolling machines, what was needed to seal the end caps, etc.
Basic process was to set the machines to cut and roll the strips of treated aluminum with some kind of very porous paper between them, attach terminals, stuff it in the proper can with some drops of electrolyte and seal it.
And yes, he could make small batches of custom, weird value capacitors for me, which was great for Tube amps.
Not because I was any kind of Industry heavyweight, of course, but because my Father was a very respected Country Doctor, who had delivered all of his kids and probably earlier had delivered himself.
Talk about being in the right place at the right moment
The light blue electrolytic is a CONELSA.
All other stuff was made in Argentina before "Globalization", such as Philips tubes and transistors, Mallory capacitors, Texas Instruments transistors and ICs, etc.
http://www.dtforum.net/index.php?act...68583944;image
Old 5th February 2013, 05:58 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to KMossman Send a message via Skype™ to KMossman
very cool !
Old 5th February 2013, 10:42 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMossman View Post
2) pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease! no, no!, No!, NO! unless the metal is thin and pliable it looks like heck, and it is nearly impossible to get the dimensions right - in my experience
Even though I always try to use a bending machine, I've made a couple of cabinets folding them in a very primitive way ( ) and if you are a bit careful, it doesn't look that bad after you have filed and painted the surfaces.

A lot of years ago, there was a couple of factories devoted to make and sell cabinets in Argentina, but in the late 90's they get closed or changed their product line. Now, it's almost impossible to buy a ready made cabinet or they are VERY expensive. Perhaps it would be possible for us to buy them abroad, but our money exchange and taxes aren't "good at all", so....welcome DIY!!
Old 5th February 2013, 11:01 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Somewhere online I remember seeing a DIY brake.
Old 5th February 2013, 11:56 AM   #35
billyk is offline billyk  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofaspud View Post
Somewhere online I remember seeing a DIY brake.
Harbor Frieght sells this one in the US for a decent price. Might be just right for the occasional job.
Old 5th February 2013, 12:21 PM   #36
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

This one bends up to 18Ga steel, which means it's usable with 1.5mm aluminum , for all of U$99.99 .
Compare that to chassis prices and you'll see you can recover cost in a couple chassis.
You'll still need to buy aluminum cut to size, but that's much easier to source:
18 GA, 30" Metal Brake

Thos is my Car Body workshop V-notch type bender:
Original width: 40cm (16")
Not bad, but then I had a custom set of tools made 60 cm wide (24") for 2x12" "Twin type" Guitar combo amps.
Click the image to open in full size.

This is the aluminum and PCB copperclad shear, straight from a failed Tin Shop:

These are the front panels being bent in the first picture, already painted, silkscreened, perforated and populated:

Hide this!Advertise here!