diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Parts (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/)
-   -   Tocos Potentiometer RV30YG? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/229020-tocos-potentiometer-rv30yg.html)

poli 30th January 2013 09:39 PM

Tocos Potentiometer RV30YG?

Hi folks,

I am looking for a potentiometer, the RV30YG from the Japanese manufacturer Tocos. It is supposed to be very good and Mr. Kaneda used it in one of his books. I was asking Tocos directly but they only ship to industry who order large quantities.

Does anyone of you know where to get these as DIY home-builder?

What is your experience with it? Is it really that good? What would be comparable?

Thanks a lot!

Cheers

Poli

Joschl 31st January 2013 11:44 AM

Hi,
hificollective.co.uk has Tocos potis on the page. Not sure if it is the RV30YG though.
Best regards
Josch

poli 31st January 2013 12:44 PM

Hi Josch,
thanks - will check it out!
Cheers
Poli

jeepy 31st January 2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poli (Post 3349928)
Hi Josch,
thanks - will check it out!
Cheers
Poli

Go ahead if you find and let me know if you find! I used both the Tocos and an Alps Black Beauty on my Kaneda. Both are good but the Tocos gives a more 3d image on this preamp. Carbon is still good even in solid state gear!
Note: f you find linear 'B type', just adding one resistor per channel can make a 'pseudo log' pot.

poli 31st January 2013 08:21 PM

Hi Jeepy,
I contacted hifcollective and they do the Tocos pots, but only the RV24, meaning 24 mm diameter rather then 30 mm for the RV30, but it seems to be the only shop one on the web, I could find, that does Tocos pots!
Interestingly enough they said, that there was a quality problem with the RV24 and the whole lot went back to Tocos. Apparently the two channels were not equal, so hifcollective is waiting for a new ones to come from Tocos with better quality.
Once they have arrived (4-5 weeks), I will order the Tocos.
Cheers
Poli

jeepy 1st February 2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poli (Post 3350625)
Hi Jeepy,
I contacted hifcollective and they do the Tocos pots, but only the RV24, meaning 24 mm diameter rather then 30 mm for the RV30, but it seems to be the only shop one on the web, I could find, that does Tocos pots!
Interestingly enough they said, that there was a quality problem with the RV24 and the whole lot went back to Tocos. Apparently the two channels were not equal, so hifcollective is waiting for a new ones to come from Tocos with better quality.
Once they have arrived (4-5 weeks), I will order the Tocos.
Cheers
Poli

Very good. I will order some too. Thanks!

yannig 26th February 2013 01:15 AM

I know potentiometer RV30YG long time now, and it is really good, at the Ko-on / 2CP-2511 (or 2P-2511). The sound is very soft (low distortion), with a wide bandwidth and good dynamics.
But not easy (impossible ?) to find.

RV24YG is good too, but closer to the Noble quality (a little better), a good step over the RK27.

For the price, it is excellent.

davym 4th October 2013 01:06 PM

A spot of thread revival needed. I have had enough of these Tocos pot's, I bought one from hifi collective recently and at first I was quite impressed by the sound quality but with further use I am disappointed. The channels are poorly matched, I almost lose one channel completely at low volume, at higher volume it affects the sound stage badly too. I could not be bothered arguing with the supplier and after the good reviews I thought I must have a bad one so I bought another from elsewhere and it is just as bad. I have ordered some miniature DACT (stepped attenuators) and hope that they do a better job. Anyway I can NOT recommend the Tocos pot's to anyone now which is sad.

poli 7th October 2013 03:05 PM

Hi davym,
thanks for sharing this with us!
Best regards
poli