CNC'd Conical Speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello diyAudio!

I'm a student studying industrial design and i'm working on a final project for a CNC milling class. I am trying to create a set of small wooden conical speakers. The idea is that they will be about the size of bookshelf speakers. They will be a similar look to these: Oswaldsmill Audio - Imperia but at a much smaller scale.

I've got the woodworking down, but I'm a complete novice when it comes to the audio side of this project, so I was hoping that this forum could help get me started. If you had any tips for what drivers to use, or what the best scale / dimensions would be to create acoustically sound geometry it would be extremely helpful. Would be best to spend less than $400 (flexible)

I'm new to this forum, so if there is a better place to ask about this let me know!

Hi,
those are horns, and look like petals, so no real CNC work ( I think ---)
Lots of CNC for making strange forms with many and many layers;
But primarily it is being used for bracing and making perfect shapes ( such as
driver flush mounting) for better attach and glueing and to bring
solidity (=absence of resonances) to the structure.
Again, about the horns, I see that a lathe is used .
or simply imagination...inlowsound.com
Just for fun, the horn system you were looking at @ Oswaldmillaudio
is composed by : 2 compression drivers for the mid & treble frequencies ( very high sensitivity >100 dB/W/m ) and one magnetodynamic driver for the mid-low range...no, there's one field-coil speaker:confused::rolleyes:
Mmmhh a subwoofer isn't shown ( which must be very large! )
Then all the thingy isn't indipendent mechanically isolated, when the target is
...?
Simply put, there is no speaker system in the world today like the Imperia
Whoah, I guess , no system is similar to no systemn:eek:

I'll be following this thread with interest. I cut angles on my 3 axis CNC machine all the time by using a series of small ramping strokes perpendicular to the line of cut. Even works for angles that change during the length of the cut.

This looks like a design with a huge WOW factor.

tomlang, what sort of CNC machine have you? are you a machinist or have a machine shop, or is this a DIY machine? I am interested in the subject... :D

As far as a CNC project, a better idea would be a L'Clearch (did I spell that right) or an oblique spheroid/Geddes waveguide for mid/HF.

Conics can be spun on a lathe, although I suppose those conic petals would be easy enough to cut on a CNC router set up... but making the speaker work properly is somewhat more complex. The drivers count, and the transition to the horn from the driver may be critical...

I'm hoping to make a conic with a curve similar to the attached rendering. Does anyone know if this type of curve would improve the sound quality? Any tips on dimensioning the conic properly or on ordering a driver for it would be much appreciated!

kY92Sm1.jpg

There's some math involved
as also some basic phisycs
By just looking at that horn ...:confused:
What is it for ? Bandwidth? Covering angle ?

Le Cléac'h... What are his studies about diffraction at the borders etc. ?
Those might be difficult to make sound properly...in a room!
Better stick to direct radiation system, it has many less issues.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.