diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Parts (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/)
-   -   Binding posts Brass vs Copper : does really makes differences ? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/228848-binding-posts-brass-vs-copper-does-really-makes-differences.html)

diypass 28th January 2013 06:48 PM

Binding posts Brass vs Copper : does really makes differences ?

in that little lenght does brass really degrade sound quality ?

Bare 28th January 2013 07:08 PM

Unlikely even Superman could hear a difference :rolleyes:
Use the brass or copper bolts to squeeze/clamp the speaker wire to the driver/crossover input wire... OR just solder.

a.wayne 28th January 2013 07:21 PM

Yes it makes a difference , I have found copper and silver to be the best, then gold plated nickel and straight nickel , stay away from rhodium...

weltersys 28th January 2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diypass (Post 3346074)

Assuming equal clean contact area there will be no "sound degradation" from either material.

In the real world, deformed and dirty contacts can add resistance, robbing some power from the speaker that is turned to heat in the connector.

Brass is more resistant to deforming, and tarnishes less than copper, making it a better connector material.

Inductor 28th January 2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

rhodium
Whats the problem of this element "Rh". Why are they using it (marketing tool, looks, other?).

diypass,
It's there a need for two of the same... :p
Loudspeakers Binding Posts - diyAudio

Quote:

Use a cable with no binding posts, sure it's better. :D

a.wayne 28th January 2013 08:14 PM

Cant agree if for critical listening, I prefer to use copper, I usually make mine from solid OFC poles.

mondogenerator 28th January 2013 10:25 PM

silver is the best electrical conductor. Its oxide 'tarnish' is conductive.

Brass is also a good conductor, and its oxide is also conductive.

Which oxide in turn is the best conductor i couldnt say without rifling thru a book or two. Coppers tarnish, in contrast, isnt a good conductor.

Gold is only really worth the cost due its almost untarnishing surface. I really dont think resistance is much to worry about. Platignum and rhodium are perhaps choson for the same reason?

I.e. Plate any Cu binding post with Au, Rh or Pt and it is a good conductor regardless since it wont tarnish, AND it will look pretty.

Silver plate Cu would conduct well, even when the bright silver has blackened and SWMBO wants to polish them shiny again.

David Wareing 28th January 2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mondogenerator (Post 3346415)
Its oxide 'tarnish' is conductive.

I'm afraid that is an old wives' tale..

a.wayne 28th January 2013 11:45 PM

depends on the wife .......:D

ScottG 29th January 2013 12:41 AM

Quote:

in that little length does brass really degrade sound quality ?

This depends on your own hearing, and the rest of the system.

As far as the system: the poorer the quality of the system to reproduce fine-detail, the less likely that there will be a noticeable difference.

On the other hand if you have a minimalist system (composed of few parts and connections, along with a loudspeaker driver grouping and loading that has low damping at very low excursion levels with few high-quality parts used in a passive crossover), then it can actually be quite noticeable - enough that even a casual listener would easily identify a difference.