Binding posts Brass vs Copper : does really makes differences ? - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2013, 02:29 AM   #41
TB is offline TB  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello diypass,
Brass is an alloy, which consists of copper and zinc. Since we can use different proportion of both brass is not equal to...... brass.

This is good article about it:

Copper.org: Industrial: Design Guide - Conductivity of Brass

Regards

TB
Old 30th January 2013, 02:48 AM   #42
TB is offline TB  United States
diyAudio Member

Also, why to use inferior material? The reason why brass is being used in industry is price. Second factor is its hardness what makes easier to mill or turn in lathe machines.
Copper is soft and second point makes some problems. But, there is always way to go around. I use for the past few years binding posts made by Pomona of Tellurium copper and gold or silver plated. They are not big like ususal WBT, Cardass, Cliff ones, but for average power amps they are fine and cheap:
3770-2 Pomona Electronics | Mouser

I know Mouser is in Europe or search for Pomona. Maybe someone sells it in your country.
Old 30th January 2013, 03:33 AM   #43
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallas View Post

IIRC, Jack Hidley had a stock of the Tiff binding posts in his NHT sale. They looked really nice.
That's where I got them. Loaded up my car with all that could fit.
Old 30th January 2013, 03:35 AM   #44
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB View Post
Yes, but... the bulk conductivity is not that important as long as it's reasonably in the metallic range. The resistance from the cables swamps it. The key is contact resistance, and that's where brass does great. You can use more exotic and expensive alloys, but there won't be a real performance improvement. If the mechanics are good, i.e., you can really bolt things down air-tight, you've done everything you can.
Old 30th January 2013, 03:55 AM   #45
Pallas is offline Pallas  Pakistan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
That's where I got them. Loaded up my car with all that could fit.
Ah. Just read through your site about the 3.3's. Cool stuff! (Though I'm way too afraid to use an electric screwdriver around drive-units!)

WAY more interesting than any tedious nonsense about binding post materials.

Last edited by Pallas; 30th January 2013 at 03:57 AM.
Old 30th January 2013, 05:24 AM   #46
diyAudio Member

Superior Electric makes some nice, beefy gold-plated brass binding posts. The 30A rated ones look nice.
Old 30th January 2013, 05:57 AM   #47
yai is offline yai  Germany
diyAudio Member

look here Home | Altoparlanti Intertechnik , they have many different binding posts for cheap, and most of them are made of gold plated brass.
Old 30th January 2013, 06:02 AM   #48
puppet is offline puppet  United States
diyAudio Member

Just use bolts made by Johnny B. Good ... dab some dielectric grease on them and your done.
Old 30th January 2013, 07:43 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yai View Post
look here Home | Altoparlanti Intertechnik , they have many different binding posts for cheap, and most of them are made of gold plated brass.
viewed, but nothing intrest me.
Old 30th January 2013, 07:57 AM   #50
diyAudio Member

some time ago i've bought these :
Dayton Audio BPP-SN Premium Binding Post Pair Satin Nickel - Binding Posts & Plates - Speaker Cabinet Accessories - Loudspeaker Components
Dayton Audio SBPP-SI Binding Post Plate Silver Anodized - Binding Posts & Plates - Speaker Cabinet Accessories - Loudspeaker Components

now to increase quality, i've seen these : CCRR S (Binding Post) that are in full real copper, but i would mount them on an alluminium plate like this :
Dayton Audio SBPP-SI Binding Post Plate Silver Anodized - Binding Posts & Plates - Speaker Cabinet Accessories - Loudspeaker Components
but for cardas i found nothing.
someone could help me ?

Hide this!Advertise here!