Binding posts Brass vs Copper : does really makes differences ?

Yes, but what about any audible difference?

I do remember once hearing high distortion on a tweeter that was being measured in an anechoic chamber. In the end it was traced to a bad connection through a highly oxidized pair of banana plugs. Once cleaned they were fine.

Otherwise not something I'm prepared to lose sleep over. (Other's opinions will vary, I'm sure.)

Get real folks. You are talking about something that the differences MAY be measurable at JPL, in the middle of an amp with an iron wire wound resistor on the output, many feet of wire, going into a crossover and many many feet of wire, aluminum, lead solder, and likely crimp on connectors feeding hundreds of feet of copper, or copper plated aluminum in the voice coil. I use the cheapest thing I can that gives a solid connection. Usually a large size barrier strip. Please, step back and think. Fancy hardware like WBT is only good for their shareholders, dealer profits and bragging rights. Spend your money on the drivers where it matters.

What a fancy binding post can get you is a solid, airtight connection and the ability to torque down hard enough to make such a connection. I haven't used the WBTs, but I do use Tiffany, and despite being a strong proponent of the idea that most "audiophile" stuff is marketing garbage, in this case the few extra bucks really did make a difference. Reliable and tight, I'll never go back to bananas or cheap binding posts.

FWIW, I think I paid $25 for four Tiffany posts. Second photo on this page:

Biamping the NHT M3.3

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I like Copper because Copper Oxide conducts nearly as well as Copper.
Granted anybody that wont notice nasty green goobers on the speaker terminals needs to just go buy a Bose In The Box and call it good.
Keep your stuff clean folks.

I really like THESE from Parts Express for speakers.
And THESE for amps.

I have used both and I think they are a good value for the money.

ok but brass is not a good conductor
i'm confused

It's a good conductor, about 30% of the conductivity of copper. Remember that you're only running signal through less than a centimeter of it, compared to several meters of speaker cable. Absolutely negligible- the big loser in these situations is the contact resistance, and there, brass will do a much better job than copper.

Note that brass is commonly used for electrical contacts for just this reason.

Brass is an excellent conductor, so no problem anticipated there.
I think that some have lost the thread, as the cable. (4.00mm houshold Twin and Earth is good), followed by the type of speaker followed by the type of post connection, should be looked at.
I have a pair of Flying Mole mono-block amplifiers, in for repair. They have a lovely 4mm post connector that will convey a good 30Amps of sound current but has a measly pair of cheap and nasty tinned connectors with 0.7mm cable connecting it all together. So what you see is not always what you get!
Welcome to my Web site

And by the way,they will be repaired before they go back to the customer!

Last edited:
What a fancy binding post can get you is a solid, airtight connection and the ability to torque down hard enough to make such a connection. I haven't used the WBTs, but I do use Tiffany, and despite being a strong proponent of the idea that most "audiophile" stuff is marketing garbage, in this case the few extra bucks really did make a difference. Reliable and tight, I'll never go back to bananas or cheap binding posts.

FWIW, I think I paid $25 for four Tiffany posts. Second photo on this page:

Biamping the NHT M3.3

Tiff, I think, not Tiffany. They were a division of Esoteric Audio USA in Winder, GA.

EAU was best known for their car-fi subsidiary "Streetwires," but they had some eye-wateringly expensive home stuff too, under the Tiff and Esoteric Audio brands. (They also marketed some stuff to car-fi under the Tiff brand.)

IIRC, Jack Hidley had a stock of the Tiff binding posts in his NHT sale. They looked really nice.

Esoteric Audio USA made high-quality stuff. They ran into some financial trouble (I think) and their brands were bought out by Mitek, who owns MTX and some other car-fi brands.

Once I discovered the Speakon, all binding posts seemed laughably crude. Positive locking, quick disconnect, low resistance, up to four poles in one connector. And, generally speaking, cheaper. With all those advantages, why would a DIYer bother futzing with manifestly inferior solutions?

Last edited: