Binding posts Brass vs Copper : does really makes differences ? - Page 15 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st January 2013, 11:01 PM   #141
Helmuth is offline Helmuth  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
I reckon that one originally comes from Japan...if you use silver, everything
must be silver

hey, remember all them screws must be non magnetic brass
but man, even when its true, and works...it will drive you nuts, and get you nowhere, really
you can trust me on that, it's a wild goose chase
been there, done that
just minimize components.
Old 31st January 2013, 11:05 PM   #142
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
The material makes a difference, the power cord on your equipment makes a difference, everything makes a difference to the sound,Not when you have cloudy speakers ....

We will just have to agree to totally disagree. P.T. Barnum was right.
Old 31st January 2013, 11:15 PM   #143
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

it's hopeless... you need earbuds and an iphone, ur done.

chasing the holy grail of high-end hifi is pointless, you can only get so far, because everything is an approximation and compromise. It's also virtually impossible to know if you happen to get any segment or unit in a system objectively "right". There is only the final subjective result that *you* experience. All the measurements and science in the world will never predict your experience of what you hear. No two people (apparently) have very similar experiences of the same system, at the same time or different times. Pretending otherwise is fantasy.

In the end what everyone is seeking in practical reality is a series of compromises that for *them* has the greatest number of those factors that they prefer and the minimum number of factors that they dislike. The listener may or may not be consciously aware of any or all of these factors, only what they perceive.

This series is *different* for everyone - although there may be many similarities in that list between people.

Also acts of omission (by the system) are difficult to identify - things that don't make sound or don't appear. That's something else to consider. Acts of commission are usually the ones that get the most attention, naturally.

Think about it...
Old 31st January 2013, 11:16 PM   #144
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
just minimize components.
you mean like .... 'no binding posts'
Old 31st January 2013, 11:28 PM   #145
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
you mean like .... 'no binding posts'
-that's exactly what I suggested to the OP's first "binding post" thread..

Seems he want's to have a "pimp'in" silver look, want's a higher quality post (than the decent ones he already has from Dayton), but doesn't want to pay WBT prices.. and never mind the fact that no matter what the result will be inferior to no binding posts.
Old 1st February 2013, 12:53 AM   #146
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

bear, while I certainly get your angle and feel your frustration, even if I dont agree fully with all of it (certainly I do large chunks of it) I think you missed an important factor. The same person that is having that very different ear->brain response due to slightly different brain wiring, different life experience, different taste etc.

the reproduced experience, for many of us is judged by how close it is to our experience of 'live' sounds experienced through that same subjective matrix. there is a yard post; of course some lay-people may like sound that is not at all accurate and some modern music simply does not exist in the real world, but not everyone and that number would be less here I would think/hope.

plus, headphones and an ipod plus portable dac and headphone amp, can be pretty ******* awesome, similar to nearfield studio monitors. not ibuds though, those be rubbish.
Old 1st February 2013, 01:10 AM   #147
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

qusp, you get the idea. what you say is fine, imo.

to amplify on your point, classically trained musicians have a difficult time listening to "hifi" especially to pieces that they know or know how to play. They are not hearing what a non-pro musician (lay person) hears at all.

but they tend to have little to say on the issue of binding posts...

Old 1st February 2013, 01:35 AM   #148
diyAudio Member

Holy cow! 146 posts.
I then should give a hand also.

... with this nice upgrade @polk
Goodbye Binding Post Cup. 1.2tl's - Page 2

Notice @vox olympian the space to maneuver around the binding posts with your finger tips. Good design and a lot to be said...
The vertical +/- they are too close to each other for my taste, tough. After all they look nice also (important because usually they are in the back, some in the front, and from here you almost know what is going inside, dynaco's apart...)
(vox olympian pic)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VOX OLYMPIAN.jpg (51.4 KB, 155 views)

Last edited by Inductor; 1st February 2013 at 01:52 AM. Reason: vox olympian
Old 1st February 2013, 01:42 AM   #149
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
...no matter what the result will be inferior to no binding posts.
That's when you are accepted as a permanent member to the local audiophile club.
""Tell me with whom thou goest and I'll tell thee what thou doest.""

Last edited by Inductor; 1st February 2013 at 02:10 AM. Reason: quote
Old 1st February 2013, 03:34 PM   #150
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallas View Post
Isn't "designed" a bit of a strong word to use there?
No, I don't think so. What do you mean?

Hide this!Advertise here!