Binding posts Brass vs Copper : does really makes differences ? - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st January 2013, 12:05 PM   #91
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

well, if it would be real gold I wouldn't expect it to be mechanically durable, but to wear off very fast

so once again
what is 'real gold' ?
and what exactly is 'goldplating' ?
and one that 'may' survive 150A(ampere)
Old 31st January 2013, 12:12 PM   #92
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
File, cut one?
yeah, I know the difference
real copper is so soft its almost impossible to file or cut
brass is also strange stuff to work on, and clearly much 'tougher'

reliable companies ?
sure
but merely the color, or just one tiny percantage of a material, and they are in the clear to name it by that material

ofcours it would be more reliable if they stated 4% copper, or 1% gold, or whatever
but they don't, do they ?
because they can't ? or because they won't ?
Old 31st January 2013, 12:21 PM   #93
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

normally they need to plate with something else in between the copper and gold to stop the copper and gold 'migrating' often this is silver. perhaps with tellurium this is not needed, but with OFC it is. direct gold plating is often stated as a plus, but either the copper or gold is an alloy, or the result will not last well.

Last edited by qusp; 31st January 2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 31st January 2013, 01:01 PM   #94
diyAudio Member

ok but, now does someone tried cardas vs wbt binding posts ?
i heard around that the two brands sounds different.
what do you say about ?
Old 31st January 2013, 01:13 PM   #95
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by diypass View Post
i heard around that the two brands sounds different.
what do you say about ?
There are many imaginative people.

If you're interested in story-telling, there's no shortage of people willing to tell you whatever story you need to hear. If you're interested in physical reality, you've already been given that.
Old 31st January 2013, 01:27 PM   #96
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
what do you say about ?
I say you are worrying about things you should not worry about. That's a large part of this hobby, worrying. If it makes you feel better, get the most expensive binding posts you can afford. There are many audio companies that will be glad to take your money.

Audio-nervosa fuels the industry.
Old 31st January 2013, 01:27 PM   #97
diyAudio Member

@ SY and Pano

if would suggest me no compromise binding posts, what is your favorite ?
Old 31st January 2013, 01:28 PM   #98
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

So, dear SY, do you assert that there are no audible differences between resistors? How about two different brands or types of MF? Between MF and bulk foil? At different power levels WRT power rating?

I ask, because many still assert there are no audible differences, and many more asserted some years back that there were no bonafide measurable differences. Yes?

Today, with better measurement abilities, differences have been found and documented. Still, perhaps they are inaudible?

Your position is?

And, obviously I ask because it appears that you take the position that "wire is wire" and "metal is metal" and of course "binding posts are binding posts". All are equal?

I am not asserting that in many instances there are significant or even audible differences, just that there *are* some differences in some cases, and they may or may not be audible in any given circumstance or system - and it's not voodoo, or imagination.

And for the record, I greatly prefer a measurement over any conjecture or unexplained audibility.
Old 31st January 2013, 01:31 PM   #99
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Bear, I don't think you are reading SY's posts very well, or you're reading something into them that I don't see.
Old 31st January 2013, 01:32 PM   #100
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Quote:
@ SY and Pano

if would suggest me no compromise binding posts, what is your favorite ?
Now you have to be concerned about the spade lugs, the solder, and the connection between the wire, the solder and the lug?

Before you worry too much about a replaceable part like a binding post, get the rest of your system to the point of near perfection - only then worry too much about the binding post.

And if you really want no compromise, use no binding post. Direct connection is king!

Hide this!Advertise here!