Dirt cheap prototype PCB manufactory

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have used many different prototype and production board services over many years. Right now, I am using OSH Park for my prototype boards:
OSH Park ~ Welcome

Great quality of board, easy to submit designs (I just click to upload the Eagle Board file). All the boards come in the funky purple color, which is OK for me. Pricing is very reasonable, $5 per square inch includes 3 copies of the board and free shipping in the USA. (eg 3 copies of a 4 sq-in board costs $20 including shipping).

The downside is the long turnaround time. They are a hobby group buy operation, so they add your design to others that come in until they get a full panel. In my experience, they run 2 or 3 panels a week of 2-layer boards. You upload a design and it is assigned to the next panel. The panel then goes to fab. I have seen anywhere from 10 to 20 calendar days for the panel to come back from fab. Then they snap apart the panel and mail it to you. Total turnaround from the time you upload the design until panels arrive to you is usually about 3 weeks. This is fine for my DIY Audio stuff, but not for my business.

For boards I do for my business, I have used mostly Advanced Circuits in Colorado:
PCB Manufacturer in Aurora Colorado Manufacturing Annular Ring, Printed Circuit Board Fabrication, Printed Circuit Boards, PCB Prototype Circuit Board's
Not cheap, but ultra-reliable. Prototype boards come in about a week, and work out to about $150 for 4 boards (regardless of size). I use nothing but Advanced Circuits for production runs (learned my lesson years ago on this one).

I have also used Our PCB for prototype boards, especially of they are not standard for some reason (thicker boards, 2oz copper, etc):
PCB Manufacturing | PCB Assembling & Components Procurement Service
Boards come in just over a week. Pricing depends on size. There is a $90 setup fee per order (first run of boards only), then after that figure about $5 per board. The quality is very good, but not perfect like Advanced Circuits.

I test for a contract manufacturer of fully assembled PCBs. But still would get
my DIY from Silicon Ray. Just saying, I know of what I speak. His stuff is not
best I've ever seen, but still way better than what little you might pay for it.

Guys I work for are way too expensive. Unless you needed something built and
tested entirely in the US for whatever reason, in three to five days. Then only,
maybe we make Dollars sense. I remember having pulled a one day miracle on
at least one or two occasions...

For my own purposes: I could never afford anything we've made. Unless it was
an EVM subsidised by someone willing to take a loss to promote some new part.

Last edited:
Dear all

I usually use Olimex for prototype PCBs, but they have now stopped this service :(

Lookin for another good and cheap manufactor, I found imall on the net:
PCB prototyping

They even make 4 layer boards real cheap :D

Has anyone tried them, and had good experience??

Kind regards Baldin ;)

I have tried them for the very first time and Im just waiting for the boards to arrive now. It took them exactly one week to ship the boards. I did use DHL so I think I will receive it in a few days.

There is a review and comments here that you might find useful :

Seeed Studio vs ITead Studio PCB service head to head | Dangerous Prototypes

I will probably use seeed next time as they sell more interesting stuff than istead.

Just got the board an hour ago, and its perfect, Im well pleased with the quality and service.

So it went like this :

11/1/13 - Placed the order
18/1/13 - Got a message saying PCB have left China.
21/1/13 - Got a message saying PCB will be delivered today.

That is 1 week and 3 days from China to UK. Considering we have bad weather right now too, that is amazing. :D

ITeadStudio

Ordered 5x5 cm board for mini Class-d amp based on LM5104, at ITEADStudio ... 13.8 USD includig shipping for 10 pcs ... ridiculous :)

Attachments

• iTeadStudio.JPG
    iTeadStudio.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 927
For boards I do for my business, I have used mostly Advanced Circuits in Colorado:
PCB Manufacturer in Aurora Colorado Manufacturing Annular Ring, Printed Circuit Board Fabrication, Printed Circuit Boards, PCB Prototype Circuit Board's
Not cheap, but ultra-reliable. Prototype boards come in about a week, and work out to about $150 for 4 boards (regardless of size). I use nothing but Advanced Circuits for production runs (learned my lesson years ago on this one).

I also use this service for business. Max size is 60 in^2 for the $33 / board @ 4 pc.min. (plus $50 for multi board layout)

Only one mistake in 5-6 years of use...replaced boards, no problem.

Got my boards. They are UBER CUTE! :D

ts_lm3886.jpg

ts_ra02.jpg

ts_ad844_knockoff.jpg

The relay attenuator measures circa 120mm-130mm in length, and i've used their 100x100mm option. If you need long and narrow PCB, you could draw it diagonally (or draw it in regular manner and then turn everything 45 degrees later if the software supports such thing - i've figured out mine SW did support it, but a bit too late :)).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.