Standard Cap values

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

If you could get a capacitor kit with various value caps in what would they be?

I'm thinking of a mixture of PSU caps, decoupling and filter etc.
Electrolytic:

4700uF x 2 PSU
10000uf x 2 PSU

10uf x 5
33uf x 5
47uf x 5

100uf x 5
330uf x 5
470uf x 5

Not sure of voltages though, all the above are electrolytic(possibly 25V and 50V for the big ones 10000uf?).

Then film/poly caps:

100nf x 5
1uf x 5
220nf x 5

Suggestions for better values (particularly film/poly non polarised) and voltage greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

I usually suggest people look at what they are working on for examples. If you for example work on old fender amplifiers, then having 100k, 220k,1.5k, 470/2w,68k, and a few others covers most cases. Likewise the caps: 630v at .02, .01., etc. But if I start working on QSC power amps, a whole different range of parts takes over. Now if you are building inst6ead of fixing, you still will tend to see a common list of parts within the wort of thing you are building. A phono preamp will use different parts from a headphone amp or a 250w per channel power amp.

In general, I myself would probably find the 22/220 step more useful than the 33/330 step in standard numbers. 330 and 470 are close enough together I can probably just use a 470 whenever a 330 is called for. Of course there can be exceptions, but then that gets into special ordering your parts.

VOltage is an important consideration. I consider it good practice to rate cap voltage for the highest voltage in the circuit, and that includes both rails in a split supply. If I have an analog circuit running on +15 and -15, then that is 30v possible across a cap, so 35v or 50v caps there. Little guitar effect pedals running on a 9v battery can live with 16v caps. Other than space, you can always use a higher voltage cap that the spec'd cap. I work with tubes a lot, so I keep not only the 16/35/50v caps, but I also keep them in 450-500v.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.