Capacitor sound - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2003, 07:10 AM   #11
sma is offline sma  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Default cap on signal path

I like to up grade the car amplifier.as i know the wima MKP is best for signal,if you have little space.if you have large place on pcb,you can try M-cap ZN series for signal.
Old 12th December 2003, 01:16 PM   #12
Praise! is offline Praise!  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks

Hi sma,

Thanks for your input!

Yes, I have also tried Wima MKP many years ago and I found them pretty good.

Could you tell me where I can buy Wima MKP on the internet?

They are quite big for car amps.

Somehow I regretted putting the original message on the site because I have discovered a new way to DC couple the input with the car amp even though there are voltage offset. I'm going to submit to
magazine by end of next year after R&D.

James Yung
Praise! Audio
Old 13th December 2003, 03:29 AM   #13
sma is offline sma  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Default wima

Hi,

My friend tell me for purchase wima direct from germany,i will ask him if i meet..because you know same brand but different country of origin,mean different sound ....

I still love direct without cap,better transparent in high and vocal....and i think in solid state on car amp,you can design with no DC offset....Maybe that have risk,but very little if you make correct design.

i looking for low noise DC to Dc converter,how about your switching design?the main problem is for cut the noise from car alternator,i still looking for "clean" supply,because i need audiophile car amp.
Old 13th December 2003, 01:22 PM   #14
johnrtd is offline johnrtd  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Default capacitors

I've been using Wima's for over twenty years now. The recent MKS series are quite small and have a pitch of 5 mm (0.2') up to 1 microFarad!

If needed I could send you some just for the fun of it. You'll find a list of those available at: http://www.audio.nl/a2eng/prices/components.html
Regards
John
Old 16th December 2003, 02:00 AM   #15
just another
diyAudio Moderator

farnell have wima MKS caps (and they are in Aus) they're not that cheap though. Just go to www.farnell.com and click on the ausie flag.

Just bought some 68nF ones today from Jaycar too (25c each compared to $1.04 at Farnell, though I'm not 100% sure they are the same series, Both are red is about all I can say!, they don't say if they are MKS or MKP (jaycar are selling them as MKT) the only thing that may distinguish is that they had J5 at the bottom, can't find any info on Wimas site.

That was the only size I saw they had that were wima, everything else was no-brand. Hopefully Jaycar are going to start stocking good quality caps at good prices!

Tony.
Old 18th December 2003, 12:22 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default Re: wima

Quote:
Originally posted by sma
Hi,

My friend tell me for purchase wima direct from germany,i will ask him if i meet..because you know same brand but different country of origin,mean different sound ....

>> Yes, please do tell me. I have a phono SE amp on the drawing board so I may have to drop the DC coupling philosophy. (I have a DC coupled SE line amp though) bty, do you know where to get 1k pieces of Toshiba 2SK389-V at low prices? Farnell quoted me approx. @AU$3.00.

I still love direct without cap,better transparent in high and vocal....and i think in solid state on car amp,you can design with no DC offset....Maybe that have risk,but very little if you make correct design.

>>Thanks for the input. I love DC coupling too. In fact I think I'm stubborn and won't let go of "no cap in signal path" thing.

i looking for low noise DC to Dc converter,how about your switching design?the main problem is for cut the noise from car alternator,i still looking for "clean" supply,because i need audiophile car amp.
My switiching power supply is not at all professional. Incidentally, I found the same kind of design in "the arts of electronics" by horowitz and hill. 2nd edition. page ?? sorry couldn't find it. If you want to know, send me a email and I promise you I'll take the effort of finding it and send it to you by post/mail.

Old 18th December 2003, 12:28 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default Re: capacitors

Quote:
Originally posted by sma
Hi,

Quote:
Originally posted by johnrtd

I've been using Wima's for over twenty years now. The recent MKS series are quite small and have a pitch of 5 mm (0.2') up to 1 microFarad!

If needed I could send you some just for the fun of it. You'll find a list of those available at: http://www.audio.nl/a2eng/prices/components.html
Regards
John
Thanks for the offer John, I really appreciate it. But if I can get those caps in Australia, I'll get them in Australia. If I can't, then I will accept your kind offer!

Thanks for the input !
Old 18th December 2003, 12:43 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default Re: capacitors

Quote:
Originally posted by sma
Hi,

Quote:
Originally posted by johnrtd

Regards
John

Quote:
Originally posted by wintermute
farnell have wima MKS caps (and they are in Aus) they're not that cheap though. Just go to www.farnell.com and click on the ausie flag.

Just bought some 68nF ones today from Jaycar too (25c each compared to $1.04 at Farnell, though I'm not 100% sure they are the same series, Both are red is about all I can say!, they don't say if they are MKS or MKP (jaycar are selling them as MKT) the only thing that may distinguish is that they had J5 at the bottom, can't find any info on Wimas site.

That was the only size I saw they had that were wima, everything else was no-brand. Hopefully Jaycar are going to start stocking good quality caps at good prices!

Tony.
>>Thanks for the input, Tony. I don't normally buy stuff from Jaycar except for prototyping just to see if the design work. I really doubt that those caps you bought are truely Wima. If they are big and truely Wima, they would have the Wima logo on, what do you think?

It's nice to know there are Aussies in DIY audio. BTY, I have a 25W class A amp design to be published next year in the magazine Silicon Chip. It features an ultra-linear ultra-fast FET output stage
design that is quite unconventional.

Give me a email whenever you like!

James Yung
Praise! Audio

Hide this!Advertise here!