Hi-fi boss slams 'rip-off' industry: Article in Techradar - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 6th January 2013, 04:53 AM   #81
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Dental tourism has to be a huge burgeoning market as my last bill from my dentist here (for an X-ray if I recall rightly) was comfortably under $5.

Old 6th January 2013, 04:54 AM   #82
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, Costa Rica does a big trade in it.

Old 6th January 2013, 04:59 AM   #83
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
Dental tourism has to be a huge burgeoning market as my last bill from my dentist here (for an X-ray if I recall rightly) was comfortably under $5.
No way! I don't beleive it! My last dental bill was $15,000

Old 6th January 2013, 05:01 AM   #84
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Ah well, it wasn't root canal for me that time

Seriously though I reckon you could have afforded first class both ways and still have change if you'd had stuff done here.

Old 6th January 2013, 05:38 AM   #85
mortron is offline mortron  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
Interesting - that driver looks to be the one I currently have in the two-ways in my system. The retail there is $22.36+VAT. Is VAT 20% now? If so that would make a pair of drivers come to almost 34UKP. My pair of speakers cost me around 58UKP, delivered The retail margins must still be appreciable.

<edit> To get back on-topic, the original is about Ashley James of AVI - he does look to me to be a pot calling other kettles black - his website shows a floor stander with just the two drivers in going for roughly double the above speaker.
Ashley James is in it to make money like all the rest of them. Why does the article remove some manufacturer names and leve others in? Bias all over the place.

Old 6th January 2013, 07:55 AM   #86
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdb View Post
You really believe that this kind of practice is ethical? Its like taking vodka, adding some flavour and selling it for ten times the price as a cure for all that ails you. SNAKE OIL.
Well, I used to be convinced it is not ethical. But after 10+ years on this forum, I think it is more subtle than that.

I have spend many, many hours here trying to explain that a $ 250 cap, on itself, cannot ever make such a difference that it 'transforms your system'. And I've tried to back that up by facts and figures, from stressing that it is only ONE component in a long chain to the speaker and your ears, to explaning psycho-acoustic principles, perception, and biasing. Asking for some type of controlled testing to back up their claim, I had the nerve!

What I got for my efforts was mostly along the lines that I was a stone-deaf meter reader who never listens to music anyway, to far worse than that. Look at the comment I got above.

What that taught me was that people know that an expensive and/or hyped component sounds better, and no amount of reasoning can change their opinion.

John Curl has been very honest about this: he has stated that he can easily hear which amp sounds best from a pair as long as he can see them and knows which one is playing at the time! (my italics). Well, duh! I don't even have to listen to do that, just need keen eyesight.

I am sure that people who shell out say $ 15k for a Blowtorch are very happy with their purchase. Yet, if I build identical copies of a Blowtorch and brand it 'designed by Phil Spectre' and price it at $ 999 suggested retail, how many do you think I would sell?

So you see, I'm no longer sure where ethics figure in all this.

jan

Last edited by jan.didden; 6th January 2013 at 08:02 AM. Reason: sp

Old 6th January 2013, 08:00 AM   #87
diyAudio Member

Hello, John. We were expecting you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
Yeah, those doctors are expensive. '-) My biggest cost, these days.
That explains why the cost of parts for those Bybee products is only a small part of the final cost...

Old 6th January 2013, 08:12 AM   #88
just another
diyAudio Moderator

I don't see it as being any different to "high end" handbags... Why would a woman spend $3000 on a hand bag (with a designer name) when she can buy one that is significantly better quality (and in my oppinion more stylish) for perhaps 1/10 the cost.

Quality costs (and I'm a firm believer in that) but only up to a point. At some point it is all about the prestige, and quality has very little to do with anything.

I tend to view it the same way as Jan. If the person buying it can afford it, and it makes them happy, then what is the problem? Does it matter if it really doesn't make any difference provided they believe that it does and are happy? Who are we to tell people what should make them happy??

Tony.

Old 6th January 2013, 08:27 AM   #89
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
I don't see it as being any different to "high end" handbags... Why would a woman spend $3000 on a hand bag (with a designer name) when she can buy one that is significantly better quality (and in my oppinion more stylish) for perhaps 1/10 the cost.

Quality costs (and I'm a firm believer in that) but only up to a point. At some point it is all about the prestige, and quality has very little to do with anything.

I tend to view it the same way as Jan. If the person buying it can afford it, and it makes them happy, then what is the problem? Does it matter if it really doesn't make any difference provided they believe that it does and are happy? Who are we to tell people what should make them happy??

Tony.
Agree 100%, well said!

jan

Old 6th January 2013, 08:38 AM   #90
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermute View Post

Tony.
I agree!

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!