Hi-fi boss slams 'rip-off' industry: Article in Techradar - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 5th January 2013, 04:56 PM   #21
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Reread your post and my analysis. PEAKS.

No, I didn't. Reread what I wrote.
ironic

I said 'they probably mean PMPO or something' Peak Music Power Output, which is included in the very line the 2 of you seems to quote and disagree with.

it doesnt take a 500W rated amp to put out 500W peaks. maybe i'm oldschool, I rate my amps RMS.

Quote:
500W peaks needed for normal listening levels? I think its this guy thats uninformed. maybe he means PMPO

Old 5th January 2013, 04:56 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Agree Qusp.

Old 5th January 2013, 04:59 PM   #23
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
it doesnt take a 500W rated amp to put out 500W peaks. maybe i'm oldschool, I rate my amps RMS.
How many dB will you get peak, over the rated RMS value? A lot, or a little?

Old 5th January 2013, 05:03 PM   #24
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post

You need a 500W amp to put out 500W (average) peaks unless you have something with terrible dynamic regulation and very low idle current. If you want to count only the tips of non-recurring peaks, then 250WRMS will get you there, or you could just add 3dB to my numbers to get back to 500W.

The point remains, the numbers suggested in that article are not at all ridiculous unless you like peak clipping and limiting or only listen to limited dynamic range material.

Old 5th January 2013, 05:08 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

i'll tell you when I finally finish the new amps/speakers =) depends on the final bias (percentage class A) I go for and I wont know that till i'm finished. I use a fully regulated SMPS for the mid-bass and Sub-bass which will put out short term burst/peak power thats ~20-25% higher than constant and i'm running tri amped with digital XO, with Class A on Midbass, Class D on Sub bass and high bias AB or A on highs. i've probably got way more available power than I actually need. but I have the power to choose the gain yet

new system, new speakers, new address

so maybe its me thats not normal =)

Sy, you keep on misquoting me, I said and have kept on saying it was ridiculous to claim that is normal, for normal listening levels, not that 500W is ridiculous

Last edited by qusp; 5th January 2013 at 05:15 PM.

Old 5th January 2013, 05:13 PM   #26
diyAudio Moderator

What's abnormal about 77-80 dB average SPL? If anything, that's pretty quiet by audiophile standards.

Old 5th January 2013, 05:18 PM   #27
diyAudio Moderator

I don't see where SY has misquoted you at all. He just saying that a 500W amp is not outside the realm of normal. I certainly don't need 500W of amp (more like 5W) but folks with large rooms and inefficient speakers might.

If your average power is 3W, then you'd need a 500W amp to stay out of clipping on most dynamic recordings. I don't think most of us run at 3W average power, but it's possible.

Old 5th January 2013, 05:20 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

your example was using unusually dynamic material (not for you I know, but for the unwashed, lets call them normal people), with slightly lower than average efficiency speakers, in larger than average rooms. basically an example framed to make it seem reasonable, every factor slightly (the program material heavily) weighted in one direction

Old 5th January 2013, 05:22 PM   #29
diyAudio Moderator

Well, if you're listening at 3M with average efficiency speakers, 3W average is not unlikely. Not everyone has huge horns like you (and your speakers, for that matter).

Old 5th January 2013, 05:26 PM   #30
diyAudio Moderator

True SY, and that's why the numbers can vary so wildly.

Qusp - I have a lot of rock/pop CDs with an RMS to peak value of 25dB or more. Of course big band and classical recording are normally like that, but they aren't alone. Of course anything in the past few years is squashed, but older releases are not.

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!