Hi-fi boss slams 'rip-off' industry: Article in Techradar - Page 20 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 7th January 2013, 08:24 PM   #191
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster View Post
With respect M, your apparent definition of 'integrity' in this context is not one I recognise. I fail to see how integrity is demonstrated by allowing a customer to set their own price for a service. If I walk into a hi-fi dealership, for example, and attempt to buy a pair of loudspeakers below cost price, does the shopkeeper lack integrity because he or she demurs?
Integrity is internal. You live your life, right? No one else does it for you. If the life lived looks like you want it to, then you have maintained its integrity. If it doesn't, then you might well wonder what went wrong. The "context" being talked about here is a one-man operation. I can't imagine a one-man operation being anything other than an extension of the person who is operating it.

If you don't recognise my definition of integrity, it's probably because you're thinking purely in terms of money.

Old 7th January 2013, 08:37 PM   #192
diyAudio Member

To keep in business, you HAVE to say no when the customer is asking for too much. It is good business to do so.

Old 7th January 2013, 08:37 PM   #193
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
Space Egg Corp,
do you find it impossible that some of the companies making audiophile products are made of people having at least the same amount of experience and know how as the best DIYers here? and that they may have access to very sophisticated (read: expensive) test equipment that almost no DIYer has access to? and that maybe at east some of them actually want to offer the buyers quality (or maybe even best quality) products? what is it that makes a commercial endeavor necessarily marketing and not quality oriented? say you wanted to sell your DIY speakers/electronics/whatever, would that transform you into a conniving, manipulative salesman?

Old 7th January 2013, 08:38 PM   #194
diyAudio Member

No finer tolerances available...
...than ones own standards.

Hey...I do my best...
...If I don't like it; it's in the trash-bin.

Nice thing is...
...no money changes hands.

Cheers.

Si.

Old 7th January 2013, 08:41 PM   #195
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
but maybe your 'best' is someone else's 'not enough'?

Old 7th January 2013, 08:44 PM   #196
diyAudio Member

DIY is just fine. You, out there, put a significant amount of time and trouble to make something for your very own. Good for you, and I hope that you selected a project that was worthwhile to build as well. Easy is not necessarily the best, and visa-versa.
However, KEEP A LOG, of your time and trouble, including phoning or e-mailing for parts. Then you will know your 'TRUE TIME OF CONSTRUCTION' not some guess.
Then think about having someone do it for you, instead, at a rate of let's say $20/hr.
Now add it up! What do you get?

Old 7th January 2013, 08:44 PM   #197
diyAudio Member

Hi Mr PP

I dunno about the audio-sales jazz.

But I have a bit of test gear, some ears, some time & a couple of quid.

I think I'm doing pretty good with that...
...a few others seem to think so as well.
( that's always nice )

DIY r o c k s !

Cheers.

Si.

Old 7th January 2013, 08:46 PM   #198
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
To keep in business, you HAVE to say no when the customer is asking for too much. It is good business to do so.
And if you are a professional, you never say no, because it is the quality of what you do that matters.

Edit: Actually, I did say no to a businessman who was asking too much only a couple of months ago. And then he threw me under a bus!

Edit: Must concede the point. Business is business. No one wants to be a schmuck.

Last edited by M Knight; 7th January 2013 at 08:57 PM.

Old 7th January 2013, 09:02 PM   #199
just another
diyAudio Moderator

M Knight please drop it. You have your opinion but you are being personal. Keep it up and points or bin time will result

Old 7th January 2013, 09:09 PM   #200
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Space Egg Corp View Post
No finer tolerances available...
...than ones own standards.

Hey...I do my best...
...If I don't like it; it's in the trash-bin.

Nice thing is...
...no money changes hands.

Cheers.

Si.
sorry you'll excuse me here, what tolerances might they be? tolerances, especially if talking of a resistor, is not a subjective term.

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!