Hi-fi boss slams 'rip-off' industry: Article in Techradar - Page 16 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 7th January 2013, 11:59 AM   #151
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

remember we are not talking about us

Old 7th January 2013, 12:25 PM   #152
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
Coppertop, why must you reduce everything to a parody and insert your own commentary as if its something that has been said?
Perhaps Coppertop just wants to ask a few metaquestions deserving of a considered response, though what you've said is enlightening. Customers a bigger problem than vendors? I, being a customer, didn't know about this.

Old 7th January 2013, 12:50 PM   #153
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Knight View Post
Perhaps Coppertop just wants to ask a few metaquestions deserving of a considered response, though what you've said is enlightening. Customers a bigger problem than vendors? I, being a customer, didn't know about this.
I only mean that if the market did not ask for and in many cases insist on vast feature-sets, they would not be included, you think the producers would add 5-10 digital inputs (as well as ADC inputs becoming more common, so that means a preamp stage too) and 4 sets of outputs, or struggle for 2db over the last generation if it wasnt required to get the sales?

many of the people buying in this price bracket are semi-informed (dangerous combination) user forum 'educated' people who search out the reviews/comparisons before they buy; they may not even consider something that hasnt been reviewed in this fashion. they know techno-babble on a surface level, not design on an intimate level and they have a jargon checklist...

do you think that the companies would spend such huge amounts on marketing, or expensive chassis if they hadnt proven to be factors in how many sales are made?

the whole system is the problem, i'm not putting it all on the consumer, but I do believe they are at least as much to blame for the current situation, particularly with DACs, they are the most prone to creeping featurism and trends. now with all the idevice connectivity and wireless you have massive licensing fees, application/software development, as well as having more stringent layout needs to deal with the ever growing RF

I also dont like having words put in my mouth, like the leaded component thing, nobody said anything of the sort and it was included in coppertop's summary. especially given anyone who actually knows me would know that if anything i'm almost evangelical about SMD being the way forward.

Last edited by qusp; 7th January 2013 at 12:59 PM.

Old 7th January 2013, 01:25 PM   #154
diyAudio Member

True------!!!

I had an interesting discussion with a guy at work who loves cycling and disregards Hi-Fi. I'm in the other school.

He would buy a new car for 400. I would buy one for 12000.
He would buy a stereo for 200. Mine is worth about 30000.

I would buy a bicycle for 50. His cost him 11000.

We can both drive to the shops, listen to music and cycle to work.......

Old 7th January 2013, 01:55 PM   #155
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I also dont like having words put in my mouth, like the leaded component thing
Perhaps you should take a step backwards and consider that the humorous comment about hearing the difference between through-hole and SMD components is aimed at buyers rather than sellers.

Reading between the lines I surmise that you are trying to be honest in your dealings and bridle at Coppertop's suggestion that vendors are mostly bent. I wouldn't know what to do in your situation, given that vendors, if this thread is to be believed, are already using criticism of vendor unscrupulousness as a marketing ploy to unscrupulously sell more over-priced tat.

As for SMD, maybe diyers should solder leads on these components and wire them point to point, as a sort of religious sacrament. Because the soul of homebuilt stuff is on the point of extinction.

Old 7th January 2013, 02:08 PM   #156
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
all these threads do for me is convince me even more that none of the two opposing camps are 100% correct.

Old 7th January 2013, 02:21 PM   #157
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_push_pull View Post
all these threads do for me is convince me even more that none of the two opposing camps are 100% correct.
No such thing as being 100% correct. We all buy what we like and think we need.

One man's gold is another man's poison.

Old 7th January 2013, 02:22 PM   #158
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_push_pull View Post
you expected that? one of 2 third parties come up with a personal view you 100% agree with?

I wish I was that easily pleased

Old 7th January 2013, 02:29 PM   #159
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
Quote:
you expected that? one of 2 third parties come up with a personal view you 100% agree with?

I wish I was that easily pleased
hm, that makes one of those 2 parties a fourth party, doesn't it?
now seriously, I expect that any sane person that posts on a public forum does so being convinced of what they write. because otherwise this is just wasted server space.
and no, I wasn't referring to personal preference and all that ("one buys what one wants"). it's not about cheese vs apples, obviously no-one is 100% correct in thinking one is better.

Last edited by mr_push_pull; 7th January 2013 at 02:33 PM.

Old 7th January 2013, 03:09 PM   #160
diyAudio Member

no, by definition I would think they are kinda still both third parties =) strange as that may seem. a 3rd party is simply someone other than the 2 sides of an argument, those 2 sides may even be stretched to consist of many more than 2 singular people, it could just be 2 entities ie 2 companies and a third party is someone that isnt either of those 2 entities. otherwise 3rd party car insurance would have a pretty serious loophole

as for the rest i'm afraid youve lost me. what else were you measuring in percent but your view on whether either one of us was 100% right by your judgement? what else is that but apples vs oranges?

actually its hurting my head, I really dont know what you mean.

or you were simply making comment that neither of us will ever be 100% right in this argument?

if so, fair enough. thats why I havent answered M Knight's last post, even though I started to. at some point a point by point blow by blow becomes unproductive.

BTW M Knight, actually we are mostly on the same page as well.

Last edited by qusp; 7th January 2013 at 03:24 PM.

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!