Hi-fi boss slams 'rip-off' industry: Article in Techradar

Status
Not open for further replies.
DIY is just fine. You, out there, put a significant amount of time and trouble to make something for your very own. Good for you, and I hope that you selected a project that was worthwhile to build as well. Easy is not necessarily the best, and visa-versa.
However, KEEP A LOG, of your time and trouble, including phoning or e-mailing for parts. Then you will know your 'TRUE TIME OF CONSTRUCTION' not some guess.
Then think about having someone do it for you, instead, at a rate of let's say $20/hr.
Now add it up! What do you get?

Hi John

Of course, you are correct here.
If I add up the $20 bucks per hour I've spent over the years...

My systems a MILLION DOLLAR one $1,000,000

Perhaps it even SOUNDS that good !...
...who knows ?

Cheers.

:p
Si.

PS...Am working on improvements...
...aren't we all !!!

dont get me wrong, your dedication is incredible, like many here and some of the best stuff i've ever heard is DIY because we dont have to make it pay, but fpr instance instead of the research, which you obviously enjoy, you could just pay a consultant to get the info you need and outsource the winding to much tighter tolerances in materials that are simply not available in small amounts; then move onto the next problem.

i've spent the last 18 months building my dream dac, ive enjoyed myself, but with the resources of a company I could be sitting back with single malt listening to the system I conceived back 12 months ago. and it would be a much cleaner layout, in a much prettier case

so no, apparently you dont understand where i'm coming from at all, maybe never will

Hi qusp

Fine-quality materials we have; and are also easily sourceable as well.

Nice news about your DIY dac...
...have you seen the thread about the 'Mobius-resistor' for dacs ?
I havn't found it yet...
...but there have been a number of recomendations to check it out.

Again something perhaps manufacturers might not include...
...but for the DIYer...
...the world is one's oyster !
( cheap as well )

Cheers.

:eek:
Si.

that would be the Honeycomb resistors from John Brown's thread i'd say, of EC-Designs. but I dont think you'de like them, though I'm pretty sure hes not making millions, i've heard he uses the odd one in his Dac/SD players, ...which are for sale!!! For Shame:eek: so that rules them out no matter the quality right?

the development thread based here on the forum is looooooooong and describes just about everthing in the designs/products along with full schematics, rationalization, discussion, change after change after change..... after change....in the schematics and philosophies

but that wouldnt interest you right?;) pretty sure the winding technique is covered there if you will lower your standards

Last edited:
M Knight said:
I can only assume you're not interested in having any integrity, though you protest otherwise.
So your idea of business integrity is selling goods or services at whatever price a particular customer is willing to pay? I don't know how to answer that. It certainly is a new use of the word 'integrity'. I use that word to mean things like:
- telling the truth to my customers
- charging a fair price for a fair day's work (our prices were generally much lower than our competitors, although they were bigger and had higher overheads)
- turning down work if I felt I didn't have the skills to do it properly

If I wanted to give my services away I would have formed a charity, not a business.

Yes, the more I think about it, it isn't the price that's the rip-off. It's the 'churn' that is encouraged by 'the industry' (whether that's manufacturers, magazines, reviewers or stooges (unwitting or not) in internet forums. And it infects the DIY world, too.

Could there a closer parallel to the Emperor's New Clothes than the audio industry? If you don't claim to be able to hear the night-and-day difference between two brands of cable then your audiophile credentials are in doubt. Measurements are strictly for the philistines who might read Which Magazine for advice on the best microwave oven or iPod speakers - audiophile ears are way beyond measurements when it comes to spending literally hundreds of dollars on cables i.e. the conductors that connect the tracks of one PCB to the tracks of another a short distance away. It's so very very silly that it sounds like a bad joke. But people really do spend hundreds of dollars on a cable and assert their superiority because of it.

that would be the Honeycomb resistors from John Brown's thread i'd say, of EC-Designs. but I dont think you'de like them, though I'm pretty sure hes not making millions, i've heard he uses the odd one in his Dac/SD players, ...which are for sale!!! For Shame:eek: so that rules them out no matter the quality right?

the development thread based here on the forum is looooooooong and describes just about everthing in the designs/products along with full schematics, rationalization, discussion, change after change after change..... after change....in the schematics and philosophies

but that wouldnt interest you right?;) pretty sure the winding technique is covered there if you will lower your standards

Hi qusp.

Mmmm....?

Seeing as I only just mentioned the 'Mobius resistor' to you a few tads ago...
...Quite why on earth, I WOULDN'T be interested in it, is totaly beyond me !

Also...
...I do not 'put words in peoples mouths'...
...I leave that to others.

My standards are those that work for my projects...
...If they don't work, we search for a new one.

The point is, as I seem unable to convey, in a thread where people's main concern, seems to be MONEY MONEY MONEY...
...is that my concern, as a DIYer, has very little to do with that.

If I admire anything, then it is the 'thinking outside the box' mind-set, that many people bring to their building; here at diyAudio.

They ARE their OWN manufacturers...
...and WHOOOOEEEEEE !!!! to that !

Please DO NOT tell others what they DO or DON'T like or think...
...It is not only uncalled for; it is in fact, just plain WRONG.

Cheers.

Si.

soooo its now OK because you like the product.... ? those are $70+ resistors....

and you are incapable of recognising irony and a touch of sarcasm. bit odd for a Pom, but hey.

CopperTop

there you go again, explain how thats any different from the auto industry? encouraging a new car even though the last one is fine and you are still governed by the same speed limit.

the PC industry, most people dont use the power of the last 2 generations of chips, yet theres another one every few months.

its the way the world works

its silly, but the audio industry does not hold the patent

Last edited:
Yes, the more I think about it, it isn't the price that's the rip-off. It's the 'churn' that is encouraged by 'the industry' (whether that's manufacturers, magazines, reviewers or stooges (unwitting or not) in internet forums. And it infects the DIY world, too.

Could there a closer parallel to the Emperor's New Clothes than the audio industry? If you don't claim to be able to hear the night-and-day difference between two brands of cable then your audiophile credentials are in doubt. Measurements are strictly for the philistines who might read Which Magazine for advice on the best microwave oven or iPod speakers - audiophile ears are way beyond measurements when it comes to spending literally hundreds of dollars on cables i.e. the conductors that connect the tracks of one PCB to the tracks of another a short distance away. It's so very very silly that it sounds like a bad joke. But people really do spend hundreds of dollars on a cable and assert their superiority because of it.
a trend I keep noticing on the local forums is that more and more people who just bought the most basic speakers and amp ask about cables. these are people who have never been exposed to good audio in their lives and they are already preoccupied with cables. if there's one thing I know, no cable can make a bad system good and with cheap systems the differences are practically undetectable. but what can you do when there are reputable magazines telling people the exact opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.