Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd January 2013, 11:21 PM   #1
MGH is offline MGH  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Mills MR-200-8 replacement

Hi, I know this resistor is no longer made. The 2.2 kOhm value I want is nonexistent after doing extensive google search. Vishay has bought out the company and apparently makes a replacement. The Vishay equivalent to the Mills MR-200-8 is their MR116. Please see the attachments.

Has anyone tried Vishay equivalent? Does anyone know if they are in fact the same resistor, just rebranded by Vishay, or is the composition of the resistor different? Does it sound the same?

The Vishay MR116 is made of Nickel-chrome alloy. I have no idea what the Mills MR-200 was made of.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Vishay MR100.pdf (76.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: pdf Mills Precision Wirewound Resistors.pdf (479.7 KB, 22 views)
Old 4th January 2013, 09:52 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Damon Hill
These are very high quality resistors and I would not hesitate to the use them. I believe Mills original line of resistors also uses a nickel-chromium alloy, which is a very common material used in precision resistors. (The secret is in the precise alloy mix and probably processing into wire, foil or film.)

Doubt that there is any audible difference in the sound, at this level of quality. I'm not much worried whether the part is non-inductive.
Old 6th January 2013, 11:34 AM   #3
MGH is offline MGH  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Damon, thanks for responding. It's good to hear that Mills used Nickel-chrome alloy as well. I talked to a Vishay representative who couldn't confirm if Mills used Nickel-chrome. It's funny how DIYers have more knowledge on discontinued parts than the company that bought it out. My dilemma is trying to find the Mills MR-200 I need or use the Vishay replacement that seems close to identical.
Old 9th January 2013, 04:35 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Damon Hill
The material doesn't matter, it's the specification that it meets that does. Below ten ohms or so, other alloys may be used to get low temperature coefficients. Nickel chromium just seems to be about the most popular kind, depending on the individual manufacturers 'secret sauce' formulation.

Hide this!Advertise here!