Parts Storage - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th January 2013, 05:24 AM   #11
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Check this:

Parts Storage Equipment
Old 9th January 2013, 01:55 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

I have several utility boxes like this: Amazon.com: Plano 23620-01 Stowaway with Adjustable Dividers: Sports & Outdoors

and a few of these style cabinets: Akro-Mils 10164 64 Drawer Plastic Parts Storage Hardware and Craft Cabinet, 20-Inch by 16-Inch by 6-1/2-Inch, Black - Amazon.com

and of course a bunch of good old plastic bins like this for bigger stuff: Shop United Solutions 6-in W x 8-in H Black Plastic Bin at Lowes.com

I use a cheap Casio handheld label maker to mark everything
Old 9th January 2013, 02:50 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Check your local hardware stores, My local Ace sells the nut and bolt storage bins/boxes whenever thr suppliers bring new displays. Some of them are the stackable type of close top box with compartments inside.......
Old 9th January 2013, 05:47 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I think there's a lot to be said for the small envelope idea. The majority of components used in solid-state circuits are rather small, and a typical cabinet of plastic drawers has more volume full of air than full of components. If you stock even the E24 (5%) series of resistors between 10 ohms and 1 meg you'll need over 100 compartments or containers. Do this for 2 or 3 resistor power ratings, some capacitors, a dozen varieties of small-signal transistors, and you soon fill a lot of storage space.

I'm rather happy with the box-of-little-boxes idea shown at http://www.harborfreight.com/24-cont...box-90243.html Each small container has its own lid, which reduces the bad effects of accidentally bumping the container when its sitting on the bench.

Dale
Old 9th January 2013, 10:52 AM   #15
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

I think about every industry has a need for tiny parts sorting bins. I have a niece who makes bead jewelry, has her beads all sorted into little bin boxes.
Old 9th January 2013, 03:38 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

For small parts I use the coin-envelopes Enzo was talking about. The attached pix shows 8 boxes 18" long, each with up to 50 bags that can hold 100 resistors each. Space efficient!
For anything that approaches production I transfer the parts into small bin plastic boxes. But be warned: if they tip over, you will be sorry! E
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM1626.jpg (486.6 KB, 61 views)
Old 9th January 2013, 05:40 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I too have found envelopes to be the least space-consuming method of storing small parts (resistors, diodes, etc). Things kind of fall apart for parts that could be big or small (caps, tubes, etc). I've taken to subdividing (small, med, large caps bins, for ex). Works ok. Most important I've found is to keep a database (excel or maybe TCJ My-Stock DB). Works great provided you actually itemize everything you own there ..something I drop the ball on too often.
Old 9th January 2013, 11:10 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

One thing about envelopes (and I use them too) they are made of cheap high sulfur paper. The sulfur will tarnish the leads and make them hard to solder.
Old 9th January 2013, 11:34 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Interesting. that was news to me. I have used paper envelopes for 30+ years without soldering difficulties, but then, I use Canadian made coin-envelopes....
Just jesting, of course, E
Old 10th January 2013, 01:29 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

With one exception, the Canadians have higher value coins.
The exception? Our new one of a kind $17,000,000,000,000 coin.

Hide this!Advertise here!