Found: source for cheap ladder attenuators - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th December 2003, 11:06 PM   #101
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
With these ebay volume controls I have there's silence between clicks, so I presumed they're break before make.
Got a feeling you're confusing the two....

Cheers,
Old 30th December 2003, 11:19 PM   #102
zzz is offline zzz  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to zzz
Quote:
Originally posted by fdegrove
Hi,

Got a feeling you're confusing the two....

Cheers,
how so?
Old 31st December 2003, 12:24 AM   #103
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Because the ones that transit from one position to another quietly are the "make before break" types.

The other type causes an open circuit when switching, hence the breaking noises.

Cheers,
Old 31st December 2003, 01:18 AM   #104
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Anybody looking at this picture can see that those are make before break switches.

As I said before, I have both of them in my hand and cannot say that Elma is that much better. It may be a matter of taste, but for me the spring loading on Elma is still too much and the clicks are louder. I also have an Electroswitch, and this is a totaly different cup of tea.

Regarding the Chineese switches. The ball and the spring mechanism is made in such a way that each step is not exactly the same; on turn is a bit louder and tighter than the next (every other to be precise), but this is nothing to be concerned about really
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sw.jpg (75.0 KB, 668 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 31st December 2003, 01:27 AM   #105
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
Anybody looking at this picture can see that those are make before break switches.
One can't tell from pics, Peter.

Quote:
It may be a matter of taste, but for me the spring loading on Elma is still too much and the clicks are louder.
There're no springs in my Elmas but what you feel is the ball bearing moving in the cage from one step to the other.

Quote:
but for me the spring loading on Elma is still too much and the clicks are louder.
That's subjective of course...You'd better not shell out any money for the big Shallcros' or Blore Edwards' then....Those are really click, clock, ouch too far, loaded but are said to sound way better than the ordinary switches.

Be a Belgian, compromise...
Old 31st December 2003, 01:30 AM   #106
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi,

One can't tell from pics, Peter.

There're no springs in my Elmas but what you feel is the ball bearing moving in the cage from one step to the other.

That's subjective of course...You'd better not shell out any money for the big Shallcros' or Blore Edwards' then....Those are really click, clock, ouch too far, loaded but are said to sound way better than the ordinary switches.

Be a Belgian, compromise...
What do you mean you can't tell from a picture? You see a wiper and contact blades. The spacing on blades is less than the size of a viper blade. What does it tell you?

The ball in Elmas is still pressed against spring mechanism and depending on the force of this spring the clicking and turning is stronger or lighter.

I didn't find a switch that I liked yet. How about that for Belgian compromise?
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 31st December 2003, 01:49 AM   #107
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

LOL...

Quote:
What do you mean you can't tell from a picture? You see a wiper and contact blades
The blades I see...
Dammm... I may need a set of reading glasses after all..

Quote:
The ball in Elmas is still pressed against spring mechanism and depending on the force of this spring the clicking and turning is stronger or lighter.
Hmmm...Maybe I used a different one, never found any spring in it, a ball in cage bearing, yes.

Quote:
I didn't find a switch that I liked yet. How about that for Belgian compromise?
They're working on a Shallma right now....
Old 31st December 2003, 02:08 AM   #108
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Hmmm...Maybe I used a different one, never found any spring in it, a ball in cage bearing, yes.

You must be using an older model
Attached Images
File Type: jpg elm.jpg (38.3 KB, 880 views)
Old 31st December 2003, 02:21 AM   #109
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
You must be using an older model
Yep...No springs here...
I think mine are still in the Elma catalogue...they had a 6 in their ref, I think....

No wonder yours annoyed you.

Mine went click, click, click, like an ALPS pot with detents...No more no less.

I love them but admit to hating the counting left and right channels...The price you pay for dual mono.

Cheers and nice talking to you again, Peter,
Old 31st December 2003, 02:36 AM   #110
diyAudio Member

Quote:

I love them but admit to hating the counting left and right channels...The price you pay for dual mono.

There is a simple solution to that. Why not put dots around the knobs (every other position)? Setting both switches is much easier this way and you don't have to count it anymore (as I used to do).

If you don't want to go through the trouble of silkscreening or laser etching, a simple dry transfer method (like Letraset) will do the job
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a1.jpg (41.0 KB, 857 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!