PCB Power and Speaker Connections

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am designing a PCB for a power amplifier. I am looking at PCB connections to place the power to the board and extract the audio signal for the speakers.

I am not sure what type of PCB connections to use - i would prefer soldered connections and use heavy gauge wire.

Does anyone have any tips on what connections to use - i have searched Farnell and RS - but you have to use the right names for the connectors as so many connections are available and are based on housed connections.

Thanks and regards,

Richard.

Board solder pins to screws, barriers between screws, TE connectivity 9-1437648-1 for 8 screws, .325" spacing. 20 a max. .375" spacing 1-1430753-3, 25 A max. See mouser.com catalog page 1668 for a nice organized collection, whatever vendor you buy from. These are terminal blocks.

H Indianajo,

Thanks - i was wanting to use solder based with ampage approaching 90A - the terminals have a maximum capability of 25A.

if i examine pictures of commercial amplifiers - they seem to have direct wire to board connectivity - so i was hoping someone would know what is generally used.

The only other connection type i can think of is spade type which is screwed to the board.

Thanks and regards,

Richard.

Hi Indianajo,

Thanks - i was going to use soldered connections with gerater than 25A current capability, where the wire is directly soldered to the board - of connected to a pin - to provide peak current of 90A.

The only other alternative is a spade type that is screwed to the board - to achieve a good connection, but in examining production amplifiers from manufacturers, they also seem wire to board soldered.

Thanks and regards,

Richard.

Wow, my 55 lb PV-1.3k amp is only 22 amps at 2 ohms. At 90 a, you want to look at welding connectors, welders do not have soldered connections. Mouser has something called "power connectors" pp 1501-1511, I'll let you download an look through that. the Molex "extreme" connectors, however, are rated 30 A.
I found with a 30 A load on the ignition switch of my hot rod, Radio Shack and auto supply .250" spade connectors burned up at the crimp. I got a big bargain on the car because of that. The only brands of flag receptacles that would hold up at that load were Ideal and T&B brand, crimped with an Ideal or Klein tool. Both of those lines of flag terminals have been withdrawn from the market for lack of sales. I spent the summer fighting the terminals and relay screws on my lawnmower starter circuit, which is about 100A @ 11 V. A year in the barn, a little oxide on the copper, the crimped on connectors for 6 ga wire and 5/16" screw studs have too much resistance, heat up and drop a volt.

Last edited:
Hi Indianajo,

Apologies - overstated the ampage - closer to 35amps peak into 2ohms - i am approaching 70volts on each positive and negative rail. I just want to ensure that the connector does not drop any voltage.

I will examine the Mouser catalogue - and Molex connectors - but i am surprised that the spade connectors did not cope with the surge current. Did you have an tem code for Mouser - as i do not have a paper based catalogue - would be searching online. Thanks.

Regards,

Richard.

What you do to download the organized mouser catalog pages, with pictures and brief descriptions, is to search for a part number, then click on the part number page for "see catalog page". Then copy that text string in the url box, you can type in other page numbers to see other pages. The pages are in order by sections. A molex extreme power part number is 45984-4132. I think farnell.com also has the organized catalog pages online, you can reach it through the same way. Molex is the last page of power connectors in my Mouser paper catalog.

Just a practical comment: if you will be passing peak 35A in theory.
It will be less because you don't have the full 70V available, transistors even saturated lose a couple volts, those losses are cascaded because you use Darlingtons or, if MosFets you have to forward bias the gates, you lose on ballast resistors, the PSU itself drops quite a few volts under load, etc. so yu'll usually have 60 or 55V available.
At the same time, the design of those connector considers constant full load, usually has some margin built in, etc.
So in practice those 25A connectors will be fine.
I am making a similar rated amp (+/- 70V into 2 ohm loads), use the .156" square post connectors, with "trifurcon" box terminals (the ones that grab the square post on 3 sides) which even so are rated for less, don't remember now but it was around 15A, and never had a problem.
And mine are Bass amps, which get a lot of vibration sitting over those 8x10" "fridge" type cabinets.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.