Roederstein 'BAKELITE' series EK capacitors - "Living Legend" OR "Looney Legacy" ...?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
WOW ! ... Cyril Bateman knows a $4!7 lot o' stuff about capacitors ...

Stumbling around on the W.W.W. looking for some 'info junk' to feed my habit ... :rolleyes:

... I came by these archived docs. on Jans 'Linear Audio' website, about, you guessed it ... CAPACITORS ! :D

Cyril Bateman's Capacitor Sound articles | Linear Audio NL

Jan describes the articles :-

During 2002 and 2003 Electronics World published a slew of articles by Cyril Bateman on capacitor distortion, dielectric absorption and several other subjects.
The series also detailed his purpose-build test equipment and was published under the title 'Capacitor Sound'.
This was a landmark series and is still read and consulted frequently.
I asked Cyril to write an update for Linear Audio, addressing new findings and products since the publications of the series, and he kindly agreed.
The new article appeared in Linear Audio Volume 9.
Sadly, Cyril passed away early 2015 after a life of contributing to technical progress.

Well worth having a look at, if you've got a spare 8-hour day to read 'em !!! :eek:

& of course there are LOADS of other goodies & gems & thoughts & projects on Jans great site as well. :rofl:

Thanks Jan ! :cool:

Si. :)

t.S.E.c

Last edited:
The Bakelite can is far superior to the metal cans. this is a given, and is not deflatable as a reality, or point in the logic of the fundamentals of signal.

Metal and the complex fields that have to integrate with it, makes for a problem, a slurring of the signal, and out phase aspect, which is easily heard.

Any metal can capacitor is automatically attempting to run a race with a leg cut off. It cannot help but lose. The metal can is good for many aspects, but it is fundamentally a move in the exact wrong direction - when it comes to audio signal fidelity.
but is possible to isolate the metal with something ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.