Mail order shops in India?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mail order.

Hi,
I have seen many shops in Chennai sending packages by courier to interior towns. So mail order is surely there. I think it needs a visit to the shop to get familiar with the owner. Subsequently they might ship to you after you send them the money or by VPP(?).
I can send you some addresses where you can inquire about pricing or availability of parts. They will generally try and get you parts that they do not stock themselves if your purchase is large enough. You will never know without trying. Needless to say that the shops I am talking about are quite honest and you needn't worry about spurious parts. You will have to use snail mail !

Some Mumbai companies are there on the web but I think they might not take in small orders. Just look into some issues of Elektor-India and EFY .
Cheers.

Mail order shops in India

Ashok,

Very nice of you to reply. Thanks. Please send me the addresses. I would like to try my luck.

The problem with these vendors is that they are totally unmindful of the package-detail. A 2.2 microfarad capacitor is all that they know and they would not care whether you want that value in polyester, polypropylene or in box or greencap variety.

Thanks again. I lookforward to receiving those addresses. I believe you have a Precious Electronics outlet in Madras which sells Elektor kits. Any idea whether the components of these kits agree with the parts list published in the magazine?

Thanks.

Parts availability.

Hi ,
I found this thread again after a long time.
The parts you are looking for should be available at Texonic Instruments in Bangalore. There are other shops also. I am not very familiar with the others. Philips caps are however not in their inventory. You can call their Bangalore office or fax them. I am sure they will reply by email or fax. Their Chennai office is very computer savvy.

I have been experimenting with several imported film capacitors and found the local Philips ones to be excellent. They are far cheaper also. These are the orange drop type.
CTR is also very good. Rogers of UK have used them in their GS-1 speakers. You can be sure they 'voiced' it first. Indian Caps are not cheaper than Taiwanese ones !

It would be better for you to buy parts from Bangalore. I find they have a better selection as compared to Chennai. This must be due to the number of reasearch organisations in and around Bangalore.

I will get you the contact details of Precious Electronics and Eltek Kits . You could also get this easily from the web.
Chennai Telephones has a Web site from where you can get any phone number or address for all of India.
http://www.chennai.bsnl.co.in/index.html
Go to Rest of India on the left pane for numbers and addresses for places other than Chennai.

Cheers,
Ashok.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.