Could you please tell me what is the value of this capacitor? I am confused.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I purchased these caps (kindly see the attachment) from a local shop as 10uF . I want to use them in the signal input section of an amp.

My questions are
1. What is the exact value of these?
2. Can I use them in the signal path?
3. What type they are of?

Thank you
Warm regards
Som

Attachments

• cqp value.jpg
    cqp value.jpg
    463.1 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Could be 10uF. Could be 10nF. They appear to be film caps, so unless they are huge I would guess 10nF at 100V. Might work as input cap to a valve amp with a reasonably high grid resistor.

Thank you DF96, for your kind and prompt reply.
But i want to make sure as I need two 10uFd in my graphic equalizer output
Here is another photo for the comparison of the size.

Attachments

• cap comparison.jpg
    cap comparison.jpg
    523.5 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Polypropylene would be the better choice, and reasonably easy to obtain; polycarbonate 2nd choice, and Mylar last--but still better than an electrolytic. Polystyrene and teflon would be much superior, but you won't find them at any reasonable cost or size.

Mylar and polycarbonate films seem to be more compact than other film types. Then there are two types of construction: metalized film and film and foil. The second is higher quality, rather more expensive and larger. I would settle for metalized film.

Now I can see how big they are, I agree with the others that they are 10uF. However, if you want to check you can use almost any DMM to monitor the voltage when you charge them through a 1M resistor from a voltage source. 10uF will rise fairly slowly. 10nF will rise quickly.

Thank you DF96, that's a good way to check it indeed.

Anyway I added them in my 3 band equalizer prototype and I now definitely feel noticeable quality enhancement there from earlier electrolytic caps.

I thought my perception might be biased so i double checked with a friend in a quick listening session and he also felt the boost in the details in my DIY floor standers output.

The midrange is more prominent or well defined now. Very very enriched vocals. And also there is a nice decay! The stereo image has surely improved imho.

Thank you all once again :)
Here is the photo of the eq prototype :)

Best Regards,
Som.

Attachments

• caps in the graphic eq module.jpg
    caps in the graphic eq module.jpg
    574.1 KB · Views: 57
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.