Help with identifying caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone, I have some caps I need to identify and need some suggestions for using them in a lm3886 chipamp.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

1. The nichicon orange says KL(M) round the back
2. the orange drops came from a phono preamp I think, don't know are they any good
3. brown ELNA says (S) on the back and came from Marantz CD63SE - I guess it's not Silmic, but what is it?
4. WIMA ones I have by the pounds, just not sure which type are they - MKT, MKP, MKS or something else - and where should I use them in a lm3886 ideally? Are they better then the BC greys that came in a BrianGT kit?
5. I used the Vishay MKT as the input cap directly on the RCA+ connector - is it any good for this, and can I use WIMAs here?

I also got the Panasonic TS-UP 10,000uf for the PS - is this much worse than TS-HA?

Any input appreciated, I'm sticking with the Panasonic FC and BC film types if the ones in the pic are no better.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The orange electro looks like a low leakage type. These were often specified in Japanese gear of the 70 and 80's. The orange drops as you call them are standard generic parts found in pretty much anything. The Elna, I would just call a standard good commercial quality cap. The Wima's again are standard commercial quality, and absolutely fine.

I'm not the one to ask on which (might) have some audio quality the others lack :)

For example the Vishay is fine as an input cap but ask yourself what the impedances around it are and whether you want something that big and something that can potentially pick up a lot of radiated hash that might be in close proximity.

For every gain there is a trade off :)

Thanks Mooly, my initial reply didn't get posted, don't know why?
Anyhow, the Vishays will have to do for now, though I never heard of a cap picking up noise before, so thanks for bringing it up, also I read the WIMAs are good as bypass caps, the rest is probably going to trash since I really don't like clutter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.