Why non magnetic resistors?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If they have AC signals going through them they wont be magnetised for long, but as stated there is a long thread on residual magnetism in some passive commponents.
Any components located near a transformer are going to be affercted by the magnetic fields as will any leads PCB's etc so its best to keep stuff away from transformers full stop.
As to magnetic components in otherparts of the system, music is AC, and AC demagnetises, you could magnetise things if you played DC though:)
Most things are magnetic to some degree or other, iron based magnetism is ferromagnetism, if I remember correctly this early in a morning.

steel core copper clad wire is simply stronger - makes it easier to handle the lead wire in the part's production where the forces would deform pure copper

likewise many resistors are ceramic rods which have to have endcaps press fit - some use brass/bronze formulations but steel is again cheaper, can have better elastic properties to give more secure press fit

as a designer of sensor signal conditioning, industrial instrumentation with decades experience - some at large companies with dozens of other similarly experienced engineers I never heard that this use of steel core wire/endcaps had bad consequences - no one checked for them in design reviews - depending on transducer our measurements were sometimes thermal noise limited

they do have to be avoided in MRI or other sensitive mag field measurements

We were careful to screen against any magnetic materials in mass spectrometers electronics where trajectories could be effected. Though I personally never saw any performance difference between these units and initial development units built with standard commercial parts where some nickel and other materials were used.

Thanks
-Antonio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.