Audio newbie looking for CD player (modules?) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2012, 12:06 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Audio newbie looking for CD player (modules?)

Hello,

I am looking to purchase CD player modules for a project I am working on. I am having a lot of trouble finding a source . I do NOT want a CD player as in a Walkman, boombox, computer, or car audio. I am building audio equipment and would like to add a CD player. That is what I get when I Google CD player (duh). I do not want to hack/mod something.

I found some stuff about older Philips modules, a device that has the motor and optics. From what I can surmise you supply power and presumably have to decode the digital signal. The problem is I am redirected to forums like this one, I cannot find a place to purchase these.

That is OK but it would be really nice if there was something that output an analog signal.

Does anyone know of a source of a CD module I can put in a product? No car CD player. No hacking/modding. I want to integrate a CD player into my product. Thanks for the help!
Old 2nd December 2012, 11:40 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default CD Player

I would think that as your description is so vague that you will have difficulty finding what you think you want. It would help if you could be more specific exactly what you are trying to achieve.
A Traverse mech plays Cd's but it needs extra electronics to get it to do what it was designed to do, what is it you are after ?
Alec
Old 3rd December 2012, 02:44 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraserSoft View Post
I would think that as your description is so vague that you will have difficulty finding what you think you want. It would help if you could be more specific exactly what you are trying to achieve.
A Traverse mech plays Cd's but it needs extra electronics to get it to do what it was designed to do, what is it you are after ?
Alec
This is what I found, but the source of this picture appears to only be informational. I found another site selling but this particular model is too expensive.

http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/img...-cd-pro-01.jpg

If I need to add support circuitry to make the CD player work that is fine. I guess the best way to show you what I want is the picture.

I was hoping there is a product I can buy from a distributer, like a mouser or digikey. Supply power and read a digital, or analog, signal. Then I can control it, ie play/pause and stop and skip.

If the module simply reads a CD and all other functions must be provided by support circuitry, I can deal with that.

Thanks for any help.
Old 3rd December 2012, 09:55 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default CD player

I am not sure what your budget is but diy cd players tend not to be the cheap option and you might fancy taking a look here to give you an idea what kits can cost... HIFIDIY Mini CD pro kit ( with 1PPM crystal ) | eBay and of course the same rules apply "You get what you pay for"
Alec
Old 3rd December 2012, 10:29 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

To the above kit, you can add another $300 (at least) for the Phillips CDpro2 module. As FraserSoft said, quality ain't cheap. There is also a kit from CDPro in France that does not have a case and runs about $600. Those are the only options under a grand. Regards
Old 3rd December 2012, 03:00 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I think that CD modules are a thing of the distant past. How about looking for DVD modules?
Old 3rd December 2012, 03:05 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Modules

I myself would not dream of looking for a DVD Module if I was aiming to get the best out of the music. I have one room for music (no flat screens) and one room for Home Entertainment and for now they will stay separate.
Alec
Old 3rd December 2012, 03:18 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Have a look at the Shigaclone from Tibi on the relevant thread.
Old 3rd December 2012, 03:51 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I'm sorry but I can't get excited about something that looks as though it's just come from the garden shed

Last edited by FraserSoft; 3rd December 2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 3rd December 2012, 03:59 PM   #10
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Shigaclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimkasta View Post
Have a look at the Shigaclone from Tibi on the relevant thread.
This is probably as close as you will get. If the original piece can still be had front JVC, then all that must be done is to integrate the guts of it into an amp/receiver case.

The idea of using a DVD player is not as bizarre as it sounds. Many can be had that can do multiple format playback with surprising results.

Hide this!Advertise here!