Audio newbie looking for CD player (modules?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Seems to me that a DVD transport will also play CDs, you don;t have to use its video capability, so don;t rule it out just because you want your own media experiences separate.

Is this project a one-off, or you plan to make a number of them?

One could find a couple dual-deck CD players from the DJ world, like an old Denon DN2000 or similar. Steal the transports from it.

Thanks again for the comments but I am sure that the Shigaclone isn't the only CD kit that's available so I will carry on looking for something that looks mechanically a bit more substantial than something stamped out of tinplate.... As stated earlier you get what you pay for and I'm prepared to pay for something that will at least equal or better the performance of my Marantz CD-94.
Best is to buy some old Philips CD-304, Marantz CD74/84 or other player from that era (around 1984) at a garage sale or pawnshop...

Best is to buy some old Philips CD-304, Marantz CD74/84 or other player from that era (around 1984) at a garage sale or pawnshop...

I hate to sound too obvious but what would I do with it ? I am looking to start with something new with updated technology not wishing to buy a piece of perhaps working junk from a garage sale that will probably be a lot worse than my CD-94.

It is quite difficult to outperform the CD94 and you can still use it as a transport if you don't like the TDA1541A sound any more :rolleyes: The CDM-1 is very durable, but I have two such "cannibalized" spare mechs just in case... The only drawback of CDM-1 is that it can't be used standalone, it has no I2S output.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.