Audio newbie looking for CD player (modules?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I am looking to purchase CD player modules for a project I am working on. I am having a lot of trouble finding a source :confused: . I do NOT want a CD player as in a Walkman, boombox, computer, or car audio. I am building audio equipment and would like to add a CD player. That is what I get when I Google CD player (duh). I do not want to hack/mod something.

I found some stuff about older :confused: Philips modules, a device that has the motor and optics. From what I can surmise you supply power and presumably have to decode the digital signal. The problem is I am redirected to forums like this one, I cannot find a place to purchase these.

That is OK but it would be really nice if there was something that output an analog signal.

Does anyone know of a source of a CD module I can put in a product? No car CD player. No hacking/modding. I want to integrate a CD player into my product. Thanks for the help!

CD Player

I would think that as your description is so vague that you will have difficulty finding what you think you want. It would help if you could be more specific exactly what you are trying to achieve.
A Traverse mech plays Cd's but it needs extra electronics to get it to do what it was designed to do, what is it you are after ?
Alec

I would think that as your description is so vague that you will have difficulty finding what you think you want. It would help if you could be more specific exactly what you are trying to achieve.
A Traverse mech plays Cd's but it needs extra electronics to get it to do what it was designed to do, what is it you are after ?
Alec

This is what I found, but the source of this picture appears to only be informational. I found another site selling but this particular model is too expensive.

http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/img/info/philips/philips-cdm12-cd-pro/philips-cdm12-cd-pro-01.jpg

If I need to add support circuitry to make the CD player work that is fine. I guess the best way to show you what I want is the picture.

I was hoping there is a product I can buy from a distributer, like a mouser or digikey. Supply power and read a digital, or analog, signal. Then I can control it, ie play/pause and stop and skip.

If the module simply reads a CD and all other functions must be provided by support circuitry, I can deal with that.

Thanks for any help.

Shigaclone

Have a look at the Shigaclone from Tibi on the relevant thread.

This is probably as close as you will get. If the original piece can still be had front JVC, then all that must be done is to integrate the guts of it into an amp/receiver case.

The idea of using a DVD player is not as bizarre as it sounds. Many can be had that can do multiple format playback with surprising results.

I have spent quite a bit of time recently working on my Marantz CD-94 and at the moment I am replacing quite a few of the capacitors. It has a Tri Chord clock in it and Burr Brown ic's and I'm looking for a new project to keep me busy having already built 3 Class D stereo amplifiers in the last couple of months to tri amp my home made speakers.

I'm sorry but I can't get excited about something that looks as though it's just come from the garden shed

The biggest trap in the audio hobby is that the eye is usually more hungry than the ear...

Don't reject it so lightly. Do some research for it. The turntable might not be of the best quality, but its performance is widely accepted in the diy community. And imo for its price it's really hard to beat.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Check out the Shigaclone thread, there has been talk of a GB for a new from the ground up version of the Shigaclone.. Not sure how this is going since I have abandoned hardware players in favor of a pc based media server, but you might want to check this out.

Based on my bad attitude I would certainly steer clear of anything with a Phil*ps mechanism in it since by next week they will have discontinued it with no prospect of spare parts availability. Customer support < 0..

Check out the Shigaclone thread, there has been talk of a GB for a new from the ground up version of the Shigaclone.. Not sure how this is going since I have abandoned hardware players in favor of a pc based media server, but you might want to check this out.

Based on my bad attitude I would certainly steer clear of anything with a Phil*ps mechanism in it since by next week they will have discontinued it with no prospect of spare parts availability. Customer support < 0..

Thanks dimkasta and kevinkr! That is more or less what I am looking for and is quite reasonable.

Link to a Shigaclone thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/223205-shigaclone-low-cost-kit.html

The biggest trap in the audio hobby is that the eye is usually more hungry than the ear...

Don't reject it so lightly. Do some research for it. The turntable might not be of the best quality, but its performance is widely accepted in the diy community. And imo for its price it's really hard to beat.

I am getting some very nice sounds out of my CD-94 but realise the CDM-1 won't last for ever.I am looking for a similar build/component quality to the Marantz and I am also expecting to spend £400-£600 to achieve this in kit form, any suggestions ?

Thanks dimkasta and kevinkr! That is more or less what I am looking for and is quite reasonable.

Link to a Shigaclone thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/223205-shigaclone-low-cost-kit.html

Notice that the low cost kit is just a few hard to find components. Not a full transport kit. Plus it requires soldering some big SMD chips. Unless you are very knowledgeable with transport electronics and have experience with handling big SMD chips, I would suggest getting the fully mounted and tested version.

Fraser I am not familiar with the Marantz, but since you are very pleased with it why don t you just try to find some spare parts to have in your cabinet in case those you have fail?

Shigaclone

Thanks again for the comments but I am sure that the Shigaclone isn't the only CD kit that's available so I will carry on looking for something that looks mechanically a bit more substantial than something stamped out of tinplate.... As stated earlier you get what you pay for and I'm prepared to pay for something that will at least equal or better the performance of my Marantz CD-94.

U get what I pay for.

Not necessarily. The 47 Labs Shiga cdp used exactly the same mechanism as the JVC "ghetto blaster" used as a donor for the original Shigaclone.

I like the Sony greystation as a cdp. Great sound for so little invested, and easy to do mods. Also consider a Pioneer DVD player. If it's good enough for Goldmund to use with essentially no mods, it's good enough for me.

If wanting a transport that is similar to your Marantz (which uses a Philips CDM-1), you'll have to source a current higher end transport from Philips. I suspect that you'll be disappointed with anything less.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.