Time delay without the $600+ expense?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2003, 03:02 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Time delay without the $600+ expense??

Hi all
Just wanted to hear if anybody knows a (the?) way of delaying a signal about 30 cm, so my midtones can be in line with the tweeters... 30 cm = just under 1 ms according to my calculations...

Will 1 ms be audiable or...? any links will be appreciated...

Thanks, Anders
Old 7th November 2003, 05:29 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

A digital delay line ought to cost a whole lot less that $600. Aren't the Behringer units about half that?

You could construct an analog delay line with a bunch of coils and caps, but that could run you a nice chunk of money. Why do you need so much delay? 1 ms is pretty hefty. If you're trying to match up two drivers with different zero delay planes, in most cases you can jimmy up the crossover to give a flat response as long as you account for the delay in your design.
Old 7th November 2003, 05:45 PM   #3
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

With just the Ultracurve DEQ2496 you can supply a delayed and non-delayed signal and reap all the other benefits as freebies. Admittedly the AUX output has a poorer quality DAC.

As SY said, the cost is only US$300 here...
Old 7th November 2003, 08:40 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies

I'm using a active filter (jbl m553) to divide the signal output...
Caps and coils would be a nice way to delay the signal i think... In Denmark add about 75-100 percent of what electronics cost in the US. Here a jbl controller, or filter, costs about $800 new... (i bought mine used in the states for 300...)

The reason why i need it is because i built my horn on the same baffle as the midtone.... (I thought of time delay costs only after i designed the thing...) Caps and coils shouldn't cost that much?

(doing it 'low' budget/DIY is a concern for me as i otherwise lose pride in the project)

Anyways - A link to doing it 'manually' would be nice, or some clue as to where/how to start investigating it...

Thanks,
Anders of Denmark
Old 8th November 2003, 02:25 PM   #5
haldor is offline haldor  United States
diyAudio Member

Rane sells an analog line level crossover that includes variable delay. Luckily for all of us, rane posts full schematics to all of their products on their website.

http://www.rane.com/ac22b.html

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Phil
Old 9th November 2003, 10:07 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi again...

i checked the link out and i must admit it was a bit hard to see what they have done with the delay...

What im hoping is that, since i dont need the delay to be variable, there would be some kind of formula for which caps and coils to use, in order to obtain a specific delay of 1 ms....

Thanks a bunch

Anders
Old 14th November 2003, 07:12 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi -

I have a similar offset between the woofer closest to my horn and the HF horn, and since I cross over below 1Khz, it's easily taken care of with a third or fourth order LP filter.
Old 15th November 2003, 03:19 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thoriated
Hi -

I have a similar offset between the woofer closest to my horn and the HF horn, and since I cross over below 1Khz, it's easily taken care of with a third or fourth order LP filter.

Can you explain how you do that exactly, or put a link up? (I use an active filter JBL m553...)

thanks
Anders

Hide this!Advertise here!