Capacitors - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th November 2012, 08:09 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Capacitors

Gooday,
Can somebody plse identify these,
Some has ITT and STC marked on them, some have electrolytic marked on them. Stantelum is on some of them as well. Can they be used in audio or should they go to the bin !

Regards
Jan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01433.jpg (370.4 KB, 139 views)

Last edited by Vrystaat; 27th November 2012 at 08:14 AM. Reason: aTtatch foto
Old 27th November 2012, 10:02 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Damon Hill
From the manufacturer's name and the capacitance/voltage rating on the top unit, I would hazard a guess that they are tantalum. Some types are better than others, but given their apparent age I'd be cautious using them.

They do superficially resemble polystyrene caps, but I'm pretty certain they are tantalum electrolytics.
Old 27th November 2012, 11:55 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Wet tantalum. Typically very expensive; they combine low leakage, high capacitance in a very small case size.

Good for audio? I'm not so sure; application is everything. They are designed for things such as analog timing circuits. Not suitable for power supply use.
Old 27th November 2012, 12:53 PM   #4
djQUAN is offline djQUAN  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to djQUAN Send a message via Yahoo to djQUAN
The smaller one is marked 0.5uF 150V. I don't recall Tantalums rated that high and capacitance that low (though I haven't seen that much) I also don't see a polarity marking (Tants are polarized).
Old 27th November 2012, 01:17 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the replies,
These are supposedly more than thirty years, they still test OK and very close to their supposed values with a capacitance meter. Some show polarity and some not. Will they be usable for something like a coupling cap on the input of an amplifier ?

Regards
Jan
Old 27th November 2012, 03:44 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Isn't that a NATO stock number on them, they are mil spec.
Old 27th November 2012, 08:01 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Davidsrsb,
I wouldn't know, they were used as spares for microwave transmission here in South Africa , just thought they were of any value, everything was made better in the olden day's.The equipment they have been used on were analog and have been taken out of service a couple of years ago.

Regards
Jan

Hide this!Advertise here!