Can a power cord affect sound quality??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just always assume cable comparisons are usually flawed in that many high end cables have a proprietary design to them, the wind, the stranding, whatever... If this changes, I could assume differences in sound due to RLC properties, but in a power cord, it seems the connectors are the big changer of sound, no? People who eliminated them notice dramatic improvement - at a major safety risk (i say for safety reasons, as I'm not so sure what the laws on hardwiring a stereo is :eek: )

electricity does not “take the path of least resistance.” It takes all paths available—in inverse proportion to the impedance of the paths. Current flows through all available paths. The magnitude of the current flowing in each path depends on the voltage and impedance of each path. The lower the impedance of the path (assuming voltage remains constant), the greater the current. Conversely, the higher the impedance of the path (assuming voltage remains constant), the lower the current.

Higher frequency signals will follow the path of least inductance where possible, once you get to about 1M they will track the signal wire/trace as closely as possible and not spread out.

At least now your addressing technical content. While it's quite obvious to me, others may not understand it or have been exposed to it. a few comments however..in red..
A ground rod with a resistance of 25 ohms does not provide an effective fault current path. Absolutely. The earthing system is NOT designed to open breakers, it is there to prevent whole house float in the event of a strike.
3. OSHA and NFPA 70E say dangerous touch voltage is any value over 30V, and death from electric shock can occur from as little as 50 mA in a few seconds.
In the advanced electrical safety course I teach, the numbers are 50 volts, 10 mA, 10 joules. Any voltage over 50 volts is considered working hot.

4. Touch voltage from an energized object is about 75% of the line-to-case voltage. So a 120V line-to-case fault results in a touch voltage of 90V. This can result in 90mA flowing though the human body indefinitely(I = 90V/1000 ohms), click here. Where is this devaluing coming from? What entitiy is causing that 25% voltage drop? And out in the real world, skin resistance is a function of humidity, temperature, and sweat content.

You mention article 250. here are the specifics. Note that I'm quoting 2008, not 2011. I've had to live and breath 2008 as that is when we locked the machine design. We are not allowed to update to 2011 or 2014 when it comes out because it will take about 8 years to complete the building of the machine.

From NEC 2008, page 70-95

NEC Article 250.4(A)(2) Grounding of Electrical Equipment. Normally non-current-carrying conductive materials enclosing electrical conductors or equipment, or forming part of such equipment, shall be connected to earth so as to limit the voltage to ground on these materials.

NEC Article 250.4(A)(3) Bonding of Electrical Equipment. Normally non-current-carrying conductive materials enclosing electrical conductors or equipment, or forming part of such equipment, shall be connected together and to the electrical supply source in a manner that establishes an effective ground-fault current path.

NEC Article 250.4(A)(4) Bonding of Electrically Conductive Materials and other Equipment. Normally non-current-carrying electrically conductive materials that are likely to become energized shall be connected together and to the electrical supply source in a manner that establishes an effective ground-fault current path.

jn

Status
Not open for further replies.