Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 6th November 2003, 02:39 PM   #1
sully is offline sully  United States
Account Disabled

Default Can a power cord affect sound quality??

Although the other thread started with "can a PC burn in", I (feebly) attempted to re-direct the thread several times into a discussion of can a pc affect sound..That is of course a necessary pre-requisite to the issue, as if the pc cannot, then something such as burn in certainly couldn't. (note, I have seen no scientific reason which makes any sense to describe any mechanism that would do so, and will not even consider that within this thread, until such time as someone has tested and found a mechanism to explain sound change..

From my posting on this topic within the other thread..I describe a method to look for it..Anybody interested in discussing it?

I hope this thread can remain focussed on topic; the other did not..

Cheers, John

Old 6th November 2003, 03:27 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Make sure ur cables are thick enough for the job and you should be fine..why waste time on something that might omprove the sound...but you can't hear it??

Old 6th November 2003, 03:36 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
And what happens when it can't improve the sound and you hear it?
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC

Old 6th November 2003, 03:47 PM   #4
sully is offline sully  United States
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally posted by li_gangyi
Make sure ur cables are thick enough for the job and you should be fine..why waste time on something that might omprove the sound...but you can't hear it??
It is a very easy thing to produce a loop voltage within even a 535 mcm conductor. It isn't a conductor size/IR drop issue I speak of..it's intercept of time varying flux within the loop.

What I detailed was not a hearing test, but an electrical one..to see if a result was even there, and if so, if it large enough to be of significance w/r to the audio signal. (not ppm, but percents..)

These are 535 mcm cables, BTW:

Cheers, John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image55.jpg (37.4 KB, 1233 views)

Old 6th November 2003, 05:33 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default YES.................

My extension power cords most certainly affect sonics of whatever is plugged in to the end socket, and in all cases improve the sonics markedly.
CDP, radio cassette, guitar amp, PA system, $40,000 replay system, recording system etc, etc.

Eric.

Old 6th November 2003, 05:53 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Da5id4Vz
Default Sorry to be off topic

But Sully, that looks like your experimenting with a superconducting subwoofer voice coil.

Old 6th November 2003, 06:16 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I thought I'd personally heard a lot of improvements when changing or switching power cables...
Too bad that when it wasn't me doing the changing I wasn't able to tell if anything had changed.

I've conducted a lot of testing on this issue: once you take away the subjective factor, i.e. you do a proper "statistically blind" testing, I dare and double dare anybody in the world to show me that there's a difference in passing from cable A to cable B (provided neither one is grossly inadequate).

Again, I'm talking about a scientifically controlled environment, NOT you personally switching cables. The human mind is a very powerful generator of illusions...

Old 6th November 2003, 06:35 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by m.parigi
The human mind is a very powerful generator of illusions...
That's why some say "trust your ears," hoping that people won't stop and realize that those ears of ours are plugged into that brain of ours.

It's rather like saying "trust the microphone" without any consideration as to what the microphone's plugged into.

se

Old 6th November 2003, 07:17 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Tazzy
On my Denon PMA 1080 sound changed quite a lot, for my CD player it didn't that much.

Still replacing "non audio grade" wire with shielded wire like the "conradsel" cable on www.platenspeler.com sounds like a reasonable change.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 6th November 2003, 09:43 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default I Trust My Ears, And Those Of Some Others, But Not All....

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Eddy

That's why some say "trust your ears," hoping that people won't stop and realize that those ears of ours are plugged into that brain of ours.

It's rather like saying "trust the microphone" without any consideration as to what the microphone's plugged into.

se
No, your ears are plugged into your brain, and my ears are plugged into my brain.
That said, my custom power cables supplying systems are being noticed in blind experiments.

Eric.

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!